😺6😺

I grab my bag before calling out to Mom that I’m headed to school

     I grab my bag before calling out to Mom that I’m headed to school. It’s been a day and I just realized I have no way of contacting Seok-woo. Maybe to apologize, maybe to figure out how this will work, I’m not sure yet.

     It’s a short walk to school and I don’t need to get on a bus or anything. Only two girls in my class have found their soulmates, and given that most people find their soulmates after they would be 25, that’s a lot. Also, both girls’ soulmates are in our grade. Some of the others might look down on the fact that mine is 24.

     I step into the classroom making sure my sleeve covers my wrist. I beeline for my desk and quickly sit down. The day passes by and I’m stuck in my thoughts for the entirety of it.

     I almost bump into people on my way home. In fact, I do end up bumping into someone. I don’t bother to look at who it is, I just apologize and continue staring at my feet on my way home. Or that’s what I would have done if they hadn’t grabbed my wrist. I look up to see who it is and am shocked to see Seok-woo.

     He smiles at me. “Hey.”

     Out of habit I bow to him. After all, he is older and I’m quite obviously a school girl still in her uniform. “Hello.”

     “Please, you don’t have to do that. We’re soulmates.” He says in a voice just loud enough for me and only me to hear him. “However, you never gave me a name or number. How am I supposed to contact you?”

     “I-I um… I’m sorry.” I start to bow again, but I stop myself.

     I can’t really think straight. My heart is racing a lot faster than it should be and I’m starting to panic. How am I going to even be with him for the rest of my life if every time I see him I’m like this?

     I gulp and try to form some sort of sentence, but all that comes out is some mumble jumble, causing Seok-woo to look at me funny. Next thing I know, I’ve broken free from his grasp and I’m sprinting down the street.

     Tears are in my eyes and I feel like I can’t breathe. Why am I like this? I probably just hurt his feelings or something. I can’t just avoid him forever.

     I fling the door open to my house and run straight into my room. I lock the door behind me and slide to the floor. What the heck is wrong with me? I try to wipe my tears but more just keep pouring out of my eyes. Then I hear a knock on my door. I freeze. Someone was home?

     “Sweetie, are you okay?” Dad. “Were you crying?”

     I stand up and look at myself in the mirror. My face is red and my eyes are puffy. There’s no hiding it. I open the door and as soon as he sees me, his face softens. I can’t help but start crying again. He wraps his arms around me and tries to comfort me.

     “I’m an awful person.”

     “What? Why would you say that? What happened?” He pulls away to look me in the eyes.

     “I found him.”

     “What? Who?”

     I roll up my sleeve to reveal the black mark that had a very slight yellow tint to it. “Please don’t tell Mom or Auntie. I-I… I’m scared of what they might say.”

     “Why would finding your soulmate make you a terrible person? Also, why are you afraid of telling your mother? I’m sure she’ll be happy.”

     “I’m not even 20 yet…”

     “So? It happens at any time. It isn’t up to you or me.”

     I nod as Dad wipes my tears.

     “Now why do you think you’re a bad person?”

     “I… ran away from him. I accidentally bumped into him on my way home and when he was trying to talk to me I panicked and ran.”

     He lets out a small chuckle. “You know we aren’t very different. I did the same thing when I met your mother.”

     What?

     “In fact, she found it cute. I’m sure you have nothing to worry about. Now, does he have a way to contact you?”

     I shake my head. “He doesn’t know my name. All he knows is that I work at Chai T on weekends.”

     Dad’s eyebrows raise. “Oh? Did you first meet there?”

     “Well… He’s Auntie Hyojin’s soulmate’s roommate.”