🌻2🌻

“Order for Charlie?”

     I watch as a man stands up and walks over to grab his coffee. He looks me up and down in a manner I find quite creepy.

     “You have some incredible visuals, and you don’t seem to have the soulmate mark yet. If you’re interested in the entertainment business give me a call. I’m Charlie Kang.”

     Then he takes his coffee, hands me his business card, and leaves the cafe. I scoff and tear up the business card. I’m happy working at my family’s cafe. I don’t need fame. It may be nice to go to beauty school though… I would like to be a hairstylist someday…

     I look up as the door opens again, revealing a familiar face. A crying familiar face. I look in the back of the cafe for either my mother or father. Luckily I see my mother.

     “Mom, Great Aunt Hyojin is here! You may want to come out.”

     “Great Aunt? Oh so that’s why she always comes here.” I look back and see a taller woman supporting Hyojin into a chair. She looks very uncomfortable. “Uh, hi. I didn’t know what to do. She’s been crying for the past 15 minutes.”

     “What happened?” I ask. I hear my mother rushing forwards to go check on Hyojin.

     “I’ve waited a thousand years.” Hyojin starts.

     “A thousand?!” The other woman exclaims. “I thought it was just a couple hundred!”

     “And I finally found him. And now I can’t stop crying.” She bangs her head down on the table letting out more sobs. “He’s 20. I wouldn’t have even had a chance before. He’s only 20!”

     I try not to let my jaw drop. “Only 20? That’s ridiculous!”

     Great Auntie Hyojin looks up at me. “Right? Why must I be punished so severely for my parents mistakes!” She looks over at my mother. “And why did your father find his soulmate 50 years ago?”

     I sigh and look over at the other woman. “So who are you?” I ask her.

     Her eyes widen. “Me? I’m her assistant, Ye-na. And… her soulmate’s… roommate’s… sister… What a coincidence huh?” She awkwardly laughs.

     I nod and give her a welcoming smile. “Well, I should head back to the counter, make sure no customers are waiting too long. We do have a business to run.”