15. Sinners and Saints

A/N: Dear FAM I wish I could tell you how emotionally overwhelmed I am, as I am about to publish the LAST CHAPTER of my most ambitious writing project :) The way you all supported this story, I have to say it was not something I ever imagined. Every time I opened Wattpad, I was stupefied seeing your response and enthusiasm :)

I have a lot to blabber, but I will post that after tomorrow's EPILOGUE !

For now, HAPYY READING!

Catch you at the end of the chapter :)

***

Rishabh:

I was sitting in the hotel room watching Aadi absentmindedly; he was playing a game on my tab and laughing occasionally as he won a level. I smiled seeing him laugh, it brought me some peace amidst all the torment that life offered me. His happy face brought some peace. I was ready to do anything for him today, although it wasn't the case when we were expecting him.

I agree I have made many wrong choices in life, but if all that led me to my son Aadi, I think I have been compensated for all my torments. I shouldn't have indulged in an affair with my student Mishka, while I was a teaching faculty at their college, but I did. I shouldn't have agreed to marry Prerna knowing she was Mishka's sister, but I did, my family persuaded me and I agreed. I should have stayed with Prerna even after I found out Mishka's real reason for abandoning me before our marriage, but I couldn't; call me weak, but I truly loved Mishka and at that time I felt betrayed, I felt cheated, and I just wanted to gain back control of my life; we had Aadi, but still I chose Mishka over him, I shouldn't have, what was Aadi's fault in all this, but I didn't care; then Mishka left me, I shouldn't have returned back to Prerna, I should have owned up to my affair and let her go, but I couldn't, I was weak again, I needed people around me to mend my heart and that's what Aadi did. Since then he became my one and only priority; nothing and no one else mattered. Both Prerna and Mishka had found ways to punish me for wronging them; Prerna by not taking me back, Mishka by walking out on me; only Aadi never left my side; I had wronged him too, I didn't care for him when he was born, I didn't care up till Mishka left me, but he never punished me; that day sitting in the hotel room if there was one thing I was sure of, it was this, no matter what, I wasn't going to let Aadi go away from me.

It was then that it struck me, my Aadi was young, and if we head for a divorce, Prerna would be given his custody. I knew she would never stop me from seeing him, but if Prerna was going to be in Calcutta with Anurag, and I was going to be in Delhi, how frequently could I meet him? The father in me was suddenly very insecure. If Mishka had taken me back, we could fight for joint-custody at least, as a couple, where both people were related to the child in some way; but Mishka had ditched me and it was going to cost me my son; under such circumstances, I decided, I wasn't going to agree to a mutual divorce anymore.

I realised I had had enough and if Prerna wanted Aadi in her life as much as I did, she'd have to make a choice; it was either Aadi or Anurag. For Aadi she had to either stay married to me or fight for an ugly custody battle where I could easily prove her infidelity and claim Aadi fully, only then would I be able to keep Aadi with me in Delhi. I knew it wasn't fair on Prerna; I was infidel too, but that was years back and there was no proof; her silence back then, was going to act against her now. I was guilty of plotting against her this brutally, but if all was fair in love and war, this was both for me; love for my Aadi and war against everyone else. I wanted Aadi to get the love of both his parents, and I could go up till any extent for it; I promised him my love and presence, and could only hope that with the pressure I will put on Prerna for coming back to us, if she wanted to see Aadi, Prerna would eventually give in and come back to us; then my Aadi will have his mother with him too