Epilogue : Survival is a Choice

A/N : Hello Super FAM!! So here I am with the much awaited Epilogue!

So about this chapter I would say only this : It is a very DEEP and emotionally exhausting one. It will open gates to a few avenues in a woman's life that I would love for you to ponder with and keep with you. It is time we revisit the mirror and take a look again, and really know who we are.

About the preference related qn I asked in the last chapter, here is my order of ranking (thought I shuld share mine as well :)) But my ranking is based on how tricky each character was to pen down for me.

1. Mumma 2. Mishka 3. Prerna 4. Nivi 5. Rishabh and 6. Anurag

Now I would let you read the last leg of the story and catch you at the end of the chapter :)

HAPPY READING!

***

15 years later

Aadi:

I could feel a rush of excitement while I was driving today; all these years of hard work had finally paid off. It was my first day at work, my first job ever; I had cracked a top notch multinational, strategic consulting firm, I was joining them today as a consultant; this was my big dream, and it had come true after immense amount of hard work and grit. As I was absentmindedly tapping my finger to the rhythm of the music coming from my music player, the music suddenly stopped; I glanced at the screen and rolled my eyes.

[Call incoming: Mom]

Sighing internally I adjusted the volume of my Bluetooth set and received the call. How'd I think, she'd let me be at peace; after all it was an important day in my life, my mother dearest absolutely had to ruin it.

"Yes, mom" I spoke reluctantly. She seemed surprised.

"Oh, you received. I was going to leave you a text, didn't want to disturb you...um but then I thought let me try once, what if you receive it. Guess it is my lucky day" my mother spoke softly on the phone. Any person eavesdropping into this conversation would already start judging me; after all I was acting pricey to the honey coated voice of what seemed to be an absolutely delightful mother; no one could be mistaken more.

"Why'd you call, mom?" I asked again, trying to wrap this conversation at the earliest.

"To wish you beta; I mean, today is your first day at work! After all the hard work, the difficulties...." she was about to continue with her barrage of adjectives that seemed to work on her manuscripts, as each became famously published works of literature over the years; but I cut her short; no one knew it more than me, her words were as beautiful and hollow as her, my mother, Mrs. Prerna Bajaj.

"Thanks mom. Okay, I got to rush now" I replied quickly, and was about to hang up when she spoke again; I clenched my jaw in irritation.

"One second, beta" she pleaded.

"What now?" I asked, not bothering to mask my irritation.

"Anurag uncle would like to wish you too; hang on I will..." she couldn't finish her statement again, as I interrupted one more time with more determination this time.

"Listen mom, I really need to go now; thank him on my behalf" I hurriedly finished what I had to say, and before she could respond, I disconnected the call with a sigh of relief. As I drove on, I stared at the screen for few more seconds, anticipating she might call back, but she didn't; little mercies, I smiled to myself, but my mood for the day was ruined.