xiv. no time to die

Start from the beginning

The younger doctor finally got the machine set up and gently glided the device along the surface of Dakota's skin. He moved upwards toward her chest and Abby quickly told him to pause there, as she looked at the monitor. "Oh god." The chancellor gasped. "There is a major hemothorax in her lower chest cavity." Abby informed them.

"Hemothorax?" Octavia questioned her with worry. "What does that mean?"

"It means she's bleeding internally." Clarke answered for her, as even more guilt settled upon her. "It was most likely from the force of the blast."
She concluded, glancing quickly to see the Commander's emotionless expression.

Of course Lexa was extremely worried for her friend, and she knew it was because of what she did, but the Commander couldn't let her emotions show. At least not now.

"The trauma from the explosion fractured her ribs, and caused severe damage to the suprascapular artery. If we don't go in and embolize it now, she'll go into hemorrhagic shock and bleed out. I need everybody out!"

No one budged, as they were all in shock themselves, and too focused on the helpless young girl laying on the table. All of them had formed some sort of bond or relationship with Dakota, and every single one of them was worried for her fate.

"Now!" Abby nearly screamed. "She's already lost too much blood!"

At that every one left the room at once, except for Octavia, who was too distraught to even move a muscle. She had tears pouring from her eyes as she ran her fingers through Dakota's wavy brown hair, not wanting to leave her side.

"Octavia, go!" The chancellor shouted. "If you want her to have a better chance of survival, then you need to leave!"

Octavia didn't even have time to respond, before Lincoln grabbed her by the waist and dragged her out of the tent, as she fought against him and cried out in the process. The last thing she saw before leaving the tent, was Abby using a small scalpel to cut into Kota's flesh, before a red liquid immediately shot out from the incision...

_______

Back to present...

The brunette currently sat on a rock, close to the fire pit, and stared down at the flames with a frown adorned her face. She tried not to think about what was happening in the tent behind her, or what Bellamy could possibly be doing in Mount Weather right now. But it was definitely easier said, than done. So many things were on her mind, and now she had two people to worry about.

Clarke and Lexa talked privately in one of the other tents, while Lincoln paced back and forth only a few feet away. Indra was no where to be found, as the woman decided she would occupy herself with preparing the other warriors for the war that was scheduled to begin the next day. No matter what the outcome was of the grounder girl, the people of Trikru would mourn, but only after the battle was won. It was how they lived, and their only way of getting both revenge, and justice, for all of the fallen.

Just then, Clarke emerged from the tent with a slight blush rising to her cheeks, yet, she wore a frown as she made her way over to Octavia. Whatever just happened in the Commander's tent must of confused the blonde greatly. However, Octavia didn't question it. She just continued to eye her suspiciously, as the girl sat down across from her.