Do You Remember Yesterday? [XI]

"Morning, sunshine", Damon heard Enzo's raspy voice as he was lethargically climbing down the hardwood stairs, guiding himself towards the roasted coffee smell.

"Morning", he replied with a yawn, sitting at the table, watching his mate pouring 2 cups of coffee.

"Long night?", Enzo chuckled, sliding Damon's coffee underneath his nose as he was already at the second cup of the day.

"Yeah, well you could say that. When did you come home last night? I didn't hear you", the Salvatore took a sip of the black ambrosia.

"Not late, considering I had a one hour drive or so. You might've not heard me, but I heard you alright", Enzo winked.

"Made sure your little friend got home safe, huh?", Damon raised an eyebrow.

"Safe and sound. Left the second she closed the front door behind her", he nodded faintly.

"I didn't quite catch her name. Lydia, is it? Heard she's majoring in history. I guess you had lots of things to talk about last night", Damon leaned back in his chair. "Also, did you know she's getting back with her ex? People say they're endgame", he taunted.

" What is this, an interrogatory, detective Salvatore?", a groan escaped right through Enzo's clenched teeth. "I feel like any second now Elena's going to rush downstairs and play the bad cop. Is this a little roleplaying game you've got going on? Kinky", he winked, trying to undermine his friend.

"About that", Damon paused, rubbing the back of his neck as if he was struggling to find the right words to say. "There's something I wanted to talk to you about... I would appreciate it if you kept your distance from the girl. You know, being her professor and all, gotta keep things... professional", he avoided catching his friend's glare.

"You would appreciate it, or Elena would?", the other vampire took a deep breath in order to keep calm, displaying a smile as fake as a three dollar bill. "Wait, don't answer that, let's just ask little miss sunshine over there", he continued as he heard footsteps approaching, gathering that Damon was not going to cooperate.

"Drop it, buddy. This is between me and you, you know? Man to man? Vampire to vampire?", Damon whispered anxiously, trying to avoid the awkward conversation that was about to go down.

"Elena, darling, join us, I'll fetch you a cup of coffee", Enzo's frown turned upside down as he politely pulled out a chair for her. "I'm having an ethical dilemma and I need your help with it. You see, would it be professional for me to teach Luke Whitmore's class, for example? You know Luke, right? The gentleman that I caught last night in the middle of assaulting one of your friends? The spawn of the people who kept me captive in a cage for 70 years so they could drill holes into my skull for their own amusement? Oh and by now I believe that you know the same fate was shared by your boyfriend here, of course, for a significantly shorter amount of time", the vampire spat the words with the biggest smile upon his crooked lips, without even blinking, figuring that Elena would catch the hidden message.

"You know what, thanks for the coffee but I can't stay actually. There's this big test tomorrow and I'm late for my study group", Elena beat around the bush, chuckling nervously as she jumped from her chair. A faint blush dusted across her cheeks while keeping minimal eye contact with the oddly unemotional vampire sitting in front of her. "I hope you figure it out, Enzo", she vocalized before kissing Damon goodbye and sprinting through the door.

"What the heck was that mate?", Damon's nostrils dilated as he spurred the words the second the door shut.

"I was asking Elena's opinion on this matter, considering she obviously knows what's best", he shrugged, indifferently.