Love Is Not a Thing to Burn [VI]

The following morning Enzo woke up with a fresh perspective upon life. The plans he's spent decades thinking through were no longer valid. Instead of getting revenge, he got his friend back, seeing Damon as an anchor for this world he was about to conquer. Maybe this was the last time he had to start all over and reinvent himself, and maybe, just maybe, the odds would be in his favor for a change. There was just one more reunion to cross off the list in order to gain a limited peace of mind. Maggie. He felt the uneasy urge to reach out to Maggie down to the core of his bones.

"How hard could this be?", he mumbled to himself as he put on his leather jacket and shut close the door from the Salvatore mansion, where he was now an honorary guest until he settled down. Under the bright rays of sunlight, the architecture looked just the same as when he traded it for an underground cell. Time must've been far too kind on the town. The people looked way happier than they deserved to be. Ignorance is a bliss, they say. And these mortals had not the slightest idea what was going on in plain sight - vampires walking in broad light because of a piece of jewelry.

The first stop was at the city hall, where it took him less than 5 minutes of chit chat to get Maggie's address. He was thrilled that she had left the town after all, imagining what a quiet life she must've lived in the countryside. Enzo often pictured her in a white dress, a rocking braided wicker chair on the porch of a beautiful prairie house, a brunette little girl sitting on her lap, asking her mother to read her another story even though it was way past her bedtime. After that she would put the angel to sleep and go lay down next to her husband for the rest of the night, thanking her lucky stars for not remembering the Augustine hell nor Enzo. That thought made him smile. Even though letting her go was one of the hardest things he's ever had to do in his life, putting her happiness above his was the ultimate gesture of love.

After a 20 minutes drive to a little town south of Mystic Falls, Enzo parked his car in the driveway and took a deep breath. He didn't know what to expect. He spent all this time making scenarios about how it would look like when he finally got to meet her again, but little did he know that they were all in vain. Before getting out of the car, he looked again at the piece of paper he was holding on to tightly and began wondering if it was the right thing to do. But he needed closure and there was no other way around this. Sometimes in order to achieve greatness, you have to cut off a little piece of yourself no matter how much it hurts, in order to grow, in order to move on. So he crumbled the piece of paper in his hand and threw it in his pocket, slamming the door behind him. "This is it mate, the moment you've been waiting for decades. No matter what happens today, everything is going to be just fine. Breathe in, breathe out, you cry baby", he mumbled under his breath, trying to man up.

The door was the only thing that Enzo could focus on, much like a bull being attracted by the red color. He made his way to the door and rang the bell. He was trapped inside a tunnel vision and didn't even notice that on the porch, there was someone hiding her head behind a book.
"Hey! Umm, can I help you?", she dropped the history book on her pole, surprised to see someone stepping foot on her porch at such an early hour.
Enzo shook his head, trying to adapt to the unpredicted situation. Behind the World War II cover, there was a stunning young woman, witch pitch-black eyes and ebony hair falling in waves down her thin back. She looked so much like Maggie; the resemblance was just impossible for him to process. "Couldn't be, could it?", he stumbled quietly.

"Lorenzo St. John, pleased to meet you", he greeted her with a shy smile and a nod of the head. "I'm looking for Maggie James, I've been given this address by a very nice lady back at the city hall."

Despite the fact that she showed quite bothered by the stranger's visit, Lydia couldn't help herself but analyze the mysterious man from head to toe, and to be honest, he was a pleasure to the sore eyes. "What business do you have with her?", she asked with a somber facial expression.