Chapter (50): The Yellow Card

Start from the beginning

"Yes but I wanted to see you first"

"Awww. I'm glad I got the chance to see you before you leave. Stay good at school, alright?" He nodded at her smiling and she ruffled his hair again.

"Ben, it's time" said Danni.

"Okay... Bye" he said to both of them before leaving.

Danni went to Avery and sat across from her. She reached for her hands and held both of them and looked her in the eyes.

"How are you today?"

"... Better" she replied softly. "I'm sorry. I was a burden on you last night"

"No, you weren't" She squeezed her hands. "I'm glad I was there for you. Seeing you cry hurt me badly, Ave. I know you are upset right now and you have every right to be... but if there is anything bothering you just tell me and I'll be there just for you even if it was..." She thought for a moment. "A fashion problem, hair problem"

Avery chuckled softly and her eyes shimmered at Danni.

"Breakfast is ready. I'll be waiting for you to join me, okay?" said Danni, caressing her hair and pecking her forehead.

"Okay" She smiled and grabbed her face for a sweet long kiss.

****************************

Avery finished breakfast with Danni which was quite delicious and satisfying then she called Carter and settled a date with him to have a cup of coffee and have the chat. She looked around for him until she spotted him sitting alone with a book in his hand and a cup of coffee on the table.

"Hi" she said.

"Hey, Avery" he said as he stood up and gave her a hug. "How are you?"

She shook her head. "Not good. I had a fight with my mom and I think you already know that" She shrugged.

"Yeah, she told me about the whole thing"

"You talked to her?"

"Yes"

"How is she?"

He looked down for a moment then raised his eyes at her. "She's... she isn't accepting it at all"

She sighed. "I'm not surprised"

"I'll try with her again. Don't worry. I won't give up on you because I know what you are going through. My brother went through the same thing"

"And how did it end?"

"Well, uh, he got divorced from his wife but they are on good terms now and he married the man he loves. Listen, it just takes time to accept, that's all. It's hard but not impossible. I will definitely try to make your parents accept you or at least try to make them understand"

"Thanks, Carter" She gave him a small smile and he nodded.

"How is Danni? I heard that your mother fired her"

"Danni seems fine with all that. Looks like she expected it coming and she is so strong about it. I'm staying at her house for now because I need her and so does she, but I feel like a huge burden on her now, so I'll go to April's tonight" She sighed then continued. "Does my father know about that?"

"Mm-hmm. Your mother called him yesterday and... he is out of town so..."

"At least right now I should try and handle one parent" she said jokingly and he chuckled.

"Agreed but... I know one thing for sure" He held her hand. "Your parents love you"

Meanwhile, Danni was washing the dishes and she kept thinking about Avery. She remembered how she looked when she was crying, she was broken and Danni felt helpless last night, seeing her lover in pain. The doorbell rang, halting her train of thoughts and she dried her hands in order to get the door. She turned the door knob and opened the door only to see Meredith standing outside the apartment, looking professional wearing her usual neat clothes, chin held up high.