Chapter Forty-Nine

Colton

"Vienna! Ahh!" I end the call, which went directly to voicemail and throw my phone at the wall. It shatters, landing on the floor. I swear, bending over to pick it up. It still works. I sigh, sitting on the edge of the bed of yet another hotel room. At least it's better than the cell floor I'll get when I return to the estate. Damn it, Vienna. I hover my finger over the redial button when a knock is placed on the door. "Come in." Iris opens it slowly, peeking her head in. "If you're looking for Bently, he's in a meeting." Iris attempts to raise an eyebrow. I mentally smile, not letting it show on the outside.

"I'm not." Iris closes the door. "I wanted to say thank you, for today."

"Don't. A Moon's Soul was the better option."

"I'll be sure to remember that the next time I go to the theatre with you." I put my phone on sleep, before placing it on the nightstand.

"Are you just going to stand there?" I ask. "Come, sit." Iris nods and sits next to me, our shoulders touching. She looks down at the fabric of her dress. I wonder if she'll continue wearing them every day when she's in the States. She won't, I decide.

"Will you be okay?" She asks after a minute of silence.

"What do you mean?" So much of what has happened lately is beyond okay. My title being stripped, my wife abandoning me, my fate of sleeping on a stone floor, the civilians' existence, and finally, Iris' own fate.

"It's not fair. I get to live a normal life, something I've always wanted but never had, while you..."

"You can say it."

"I don't want to." I pull her closer to me, kissing the top of her head.

"All I care about at this moment is your, and my niece or nephew's safety."

"More than your title? And Vienna?" I sigh. Can't she just take the compliment?

"I'll find a way to get my title back one way or another. Jonas needs me. He and my sister cannot be the only sain ones in the Order. And for my wife, I've been through the throught of never seeing her again before." Iris looks up at me.

"Which caused you to drug and kidnap Bently and I and drag us to another continent."

"That's because I knew where she was. This time, I don't. Plus, I can't drag you cross-continent when you're in another universe, darling."

"I'm going to miss you," she says.

"Against my better judgment, I will too."