Chapter Twenty-Seven

Colton

I help Vienna pack essentials into a bag. I haven't told her why, which doesn't help when she reminds me of the forbiddance of her leaving the Estate. I glare at her. That didn't stop us on our wedding day.

"I cannot tell you why. Just please listen to me. We don't have much time."

"Is something going to happen?" I stare down at the bag, refusing to let the tears come up.

"I have been given an ultimatum. I don't have time to explain." I jump at a knock on the door. That better be Iris. "Come in," I say.

"Iris?" Vienna asks. I zip up the bag, handing it to Iris, then take a bundle of rope from my closet. I'm turning into Erik. I roll my eyes. I'm too damn smart to be Erik. Jonas always caught up to him. He can never find Vienna. I take her hands.

"I love you. Just trust me." I kiss her, savoring every second, before tying her hands behind her back.

"Jonas is headed to the pool. We need to hurry." I nod.

"Go with Iris," I tell Vienna. "I love you. Always." I watch as Iris throws the bag over her back, leaving with the love of my life. If anyone asks her, Iris' response will be that the Beta allowed for exportation. It will be too late before the Preeminence is notified. We took a page out of Erik's book. Vienna will be transported to Brydan and A's for a change of clothes, and so Iris can return before Jonas becomes furious at the both of us. I plan not to step down, although I realize I will have no choice when he discovers that I set one of the most notorious rebels free. "Remember," I'll tell him. "Whatever done to me must also be done to Iris. She was, in fact, the mastermind." Only Iris and A will know Vienna's location, although I do intend to find out, eventually. While I wait for the senate meeting to begin, I draft a letter to Elodie, who I suppose I shall notify about the week's events. Just as I'm walking to my doom, I am sent a text from our dear Iris: the song Tearscapes from the band Sparrows and Crows. While not only being Iris and I's favorite song, that fact was discovered the last time I saw Vienna before her betrayal. Vienna's with Brydan. Iris is on her way back. I respond, something cheesy about the lyrics, before entering the Senate room.

While no one turns my way, I feel a pair of eyes stare. It's not long before I realize they're Jonas'. He wants to see me sweat, no doubt anxious to hear my decision. Even so, he waits. Bill after bill, he stares. As the Eta and Epsilon draw on about taxes. As the Digamma complains about our relationship to France, and by extension, the princess. As the Zeta proposes new measures on childcare, ones that should be revolutionary, but alas, are rejected. At last, the Preeminence wraps up the meeting.

"Wait," he says. "I'm afraid the Beta has something to say." I look at my brother, the sinister smile plastered on his face. I stand.

"I wish to prove my loyalty to you, my Preeminence. I will not be stepping down as Beta." It's faint, but I can see a flicker of sadness appear in his eyes as quickly as it exits. Whether it's because of my decision or what comes next, I do not know.

"Very well. You know what you must do?" I nod, turning to the Order, my eyes drawn to Bently's.

"I order Vienna..." Blackwood. "Ronan to be brought to a cell immediately. The Digamma and Zeta shall do the honors." Even fictitious, I refuse to commit the act myself.

"This meeting is adjourned." The Order stares but begins to follow out, Bently and Zeke the last to go.

"Don't you have duties to attend to?" I ask them.

"Yes, Beta." They nod, exiting.

"Beta, please say." I keep my back to Jonas, looking at the ground below. He places a hand on my shoulder. "I'm proud of you." I shove him off me, following my cousins.