"I'm sorry, did you say the desk, dear?" Mrs Higgins asked.

"We wouldn't tell a soul that we had been shown the room," Arthur flashed a smile at Mrs Higgins. "Clara is a very visual person, you see. In fact, this... desk... was rather the sole purpose of our visit."

"The... sole purpose..." Mrs Higgins looked back and forth between them, "and...you would only need a moment to see it?"

"Just a glance would do," said Georgiana, "we might even pass by the room and observe from a distance if that is more to your liking."

"Well..." said Mrs Higgins, "as it happens, the mistress is out at present. Perhaps I might just crack open the door? I'd hate for you to waste a trip, and I do admit it is a very grand room."

"A generous offer, Mrs Higgins. We are grateful for your hospitality," Arthur said, and Georgiana noticed that her reaction wasn't quite a flustered as it had been previously.

"We are not far," said Mrs Higgins, "in fact, it is on the way to the fountain court."

"Splendid," said Arthur, "I imagine it has rather grand views of the landscape."

"The grandest of views," said Mrs Higgins, as she jetted along the corridor, nervous energy propelling her forward to complete the task as quickly as possible. Georgiana and Arthur followed closely behind - and as Arthur made light conversation, his sister became quieter than usual, taking mental notes of each passing room, counting each door as they progressed down the western wing of the manor.

----------

"Honestly, Mary, I don't know where to begin." Susan touched her forehead absently, taking a moment to formulate her thoughts, "but as your friend, please consider that what I am about to tell you is information I wished to give you long ago - but I was advised against it."

"I... don't understand. Advised against what?"

"The solicitor we met, some weeks ago... Mr Bicknell... you are aware that he works almost exclusively for the Prince Regent."

"Yes. Yes, of course."

"You might have also gathered that he prefers to use more private channels to acquire information."

"Do you speak of him collecting information from Mrs Campion's staff? Was there not a footman involved?"

"Mr Bicknell has employed various informants in the field - trusted individuals who have been tasked with, at times, taking great risks to obtain the information he seeks."

"And?"

"His network has been following Eliza for some time, it is true. But there is one individual who was... until very recently, that is... given a separate task."

----------

"There we are," Mrs Higgins said, at last, opening an oak door so large and heavy that Georgiana was rather impressed by her strength. She darted a glance down the deserted corridor, still wringing her hands as she motioned for them to go in. "I shall wait for you out here, dears," she said, and they entered Mr Campion's former study.

"Very grand, indeed," Georgiana said, walking straight over to the desk, eyeing it from different angles. She touched the surface of it, looking closely to examine the wood, and turned her back to the entrance, her eye travelling across the papers scattered upon the desktop.

"Mrs Higgins," she heard Arthur call, "when was the spiral staircase installed?"

Georgiana moved around to the desk chair, crouching low to pull out the bottom drawer. "My, that is lovely," Arthur called out, and she stood abruptly upon hearing the words. Mrs Higgins, noticing her position behind the desk, had begun to walk in her direction. Georgiana smiled as innocently as she could as she pushed the drawer back in slowly with her foot.