35

They had been mere steps away from the King's box during the encounter with Mrs Campion, and Babington ushered them almost protectively toward the doors at the very end of the corridor, looking over his shoulder for the sudden appearance of the very person they wished to avoid, and breathed an audible sigh of relief as soon as the doors were closed behind them.

Susan led them through a private saloon to a much grander box than the others, perhaps even triple the size. Sidney noticed immediately that the Prince Regent had clearly settled in and did not rise from his chair, which resembled a throne more than anything, as they entered the box. For a moment, he began to dread that the Prince was in a mood, but he turned as they approached, and his face transformed into a jovial expression. "Why, Lady Susan!" he exclaimed, "I was just informed that you were here this evening. Now, this is a pleasant surprise, pleasant indeed. And the Babingtons! Well met!"

"Your Highness, I have brought some very special guests with me this evening - friends I have been hoping to introduce you to for some time," Susan said in her calm manner.

"Could this be your Miss Heywood?" he asked, his eyes turning to where Charlotte and Sidney stood, her hand upon his arm, "And who is this young man?"

"Miss Charlotte Heywood and Mr Sidney Parker, may I introduce you to His Royal Highness the Prince Regent," Susan said, and they stepped forward to greet him with a bow and curtsy.

"Parker, eh?" the Prince said, his eyes twinkling. "It seems that everyone I encounter of late goes on about your town. Sanditon, is it not?"

"Yes, Your Highness," Charlotte interjected, and the Prince Regent moved his gaze to her.

"And you are fond of the town, Miss Heywood?"

"Yes, very much," she said quickly, "I believe it is the loveliest place I have had the pleasure to see."

"Now, that is high praise, Miss Heywood - high praise, indeed."

"If I may, Your Highness," Sidney picked up, "Miss Heywood is not one to give high praise willingly, so allow that to be a testament to the town itself."

"I have been assisting Miss Heywood and Mr Parker of late to help find investors for Sanditon. We all have," said Susan, glancing toward the Babingtons.

"Have you, now? What sort of investors?"

"We are hoping to draw more people for seasonal events and, we hope, to buy or rent properties there," said Charlotte.

"I see, and tell me, what might a town like Sanditon have to offer that Brighton does not?"

"What would a town be without the people in it?" Charlotte asked, and Sidney turned to her with a look of admiration. "I have not travelled as often as many, Your Highness, but I do know that Sanditon has among its residents some of the kindest, most welcoming people I have ever met in my life. I have wished only to go back, from the moment I left."

"I can think of no better praise than that, Miss Heywood, and coming from such a lady as yourself, I must say that I am more inclined to believe such praise without having seen it myself. Very intriguing, indeed."

Charlotte flushed, stepping back slightly as if she had only come to realise exactly who she had spoken to, and was unable to continue.

"And what of you, Mr Parker? Were you raised in Sanditon?" the Prince asked.

"Indeed, Your Highness, I was."

"And do you find it as charming a place as Miss Heywood?"

"Miss Heywood has succeeded in reminding me of its allurements, Your Highness," he said, glancing at Charlotte. "I believe that I have seen it through a new set of eyes as of late, and I find it a most inviting place of staggering beauty."