3

"Frau Parker, I might have a word?"

"Yes, of course, Dr Fuchs."

"The patient, he is struggling. I have tried a new poultice today. We will see if the wound improves, but his mood, Frau Parker, it is very grim."

"Tell me, is there nothing else that we could try?"

"I have been practising many years, Frau Parker. I see it often enough. Those tending to the patient may only do so much to heal. The rest will be up to der junger Herr Parker. If he does not want to heal, he will not recover. It is as simple as that."

"Please, you must have a suggestion. Something that we could try."

"My suggestion, Frau Parker, is to give him something to live for."

----------

Georgiana emerged from Sidney's room for the fourth time that week, frustrated and weary.

"Still nothing, then?" Mary asked eagerly.

"Nothing, not even a sound. It's like he's an empty shell."

"Yes, I was afraid of that."

"What do you think happened to him? I have wondered...do you...could it be Charlotte?"

Mary sighed, resignedly, "I have spent so much time considering what it might be, and Charlotte is the only thing that makes any sense in this world."

"I don't understand," Georgiana shook her head, "it was all going so well, and yet, he was the one to hurt her. What happened to make him turn to Mrs Campion, who, by the way, is quite positively the vilest woman I've ever met, and abandon Charlotte so suddenly? He was besotted at the Midsummer Ball, and she as well."

"Come, dear, I believe that I have a few matters to explain." She called on Morgan to order tea and as they sat, both stirring milk and sugar into their cups absently, Mary began to tell Georgiana the truth, or what she knew of it.

"Are you joking?" Georgiana spouted, "you have to be joking."

"I'm afraid not, dear," Mary said, hesitantly, awaiting the outburst that was likely to come.

"Marrying a woman he does not love as a last resort when his ward could more than pay the debts in full. Sidney Parker, you fool."

"He would never ask such a thing of you, Georgiana; that inheritance is yours and no one else's."

"I could have bought him time, at the very least. Loaned your family the money with interest. Invested in this town."

"But you despise this town. Why would you ever want to tie yourself to it?"

"If it is a matter of having Sidney whole, even if he's infuriating, or having a man who can't even manage to speak? I would give every penny of my inheritance to fix it." She spoke with such passionate determination that Mary was taken aback for a moment.

"Forgive me, Georgiana, I suppose I never realised that you cared about him so."

"He is the only family I have left. Of course, I care about him -- even if I spend most of my time despising him."

"Then, I suppose that his actions could prove just how much he cares about you as well. He does, you know, even if he doesn't quite know how to express it."

"Well, if I am not allowed to help, what else might we do?"

"That, my dear, is the very question we must examine, and find an answer to soon if anything is to be done."