8

Sidney awoke abruptly, breathing in sharply, too deeply, and felt as if his sternum would crack from the pressure.

"Careful," he heard Georgiana's voice next to his ear, "Slow down, it's okay."

He exhaled, coughing, and winced as he draped an arm across his eyes. It had become an unexpected challenge just to adjust himself to the light streaming through the window, having slept so often in the past few weeks.

"More nightmares, then?" Georgiana asked, and he glanced over at her, his eyes squinting to shut out the light, and nodded.

"Are you...reading?" he squinted in her direction, an expression of disbelief upon his face.

Georgiana smiled mischievously, "Yes, Mr Parker, I am. Self Control by Mary Brunton. Charlotte left it behind at Mrs Griffiths' and well, I got bored sitting here with you all day."

"Well, seeing that I sleep approximately sixteen hours each day, I'm not surprised. Is it at least entertaining?"

"Far more than I ever would have imagined," she said, snapping the book shut and setting it on the table next to her.

"And you are keeping up with your studies? Has Mrs Griffiths approved of you being here?"

Georgiana rolled her eyes, "Honestly, Sidney, I could learn what Mrs Griffiths has to teach in a week. At least I am of some use here."

"Of course you are," he said, "you have been a fine companion to me."

"Oh, stop. You know I cannot take this new sentimental version of you that has suddenly appeared out of thin air. I swear to God, one injury and you are mush."

"I suppose that near-death experiences can do that to a person, but if I'm honest, I was a changed man before all that."

"Is this your way of telling me you're ready to talk about Charlotte?" she asked, an eyebrow raised.

He glanced sideways at her, drumming his fingertips absently on the blankets.

"Oh, you are useless at this. I know what happened already, so you can spare me that."

"What? Who told-"

"Mary. Who else?"

"You two have gotten close then, have you."

"Something like that, yes. We have a common interest."

"Which is?"

"You. And Charlotte. So two common interests, I suppose." She smiled mischievously at him.

"Any...news?" He had turned his face back to look at the ceiling again, swallowing reflexively as he awaited her answer.

"Wow, you do want to talk about Charlotte. I thought it would be at least a few more weeks before you could even say her name, but alright, let's talk."

"And? News?"

"She has written a letter or two, yes."

"Really, Georgiana, I could have guessed that much myself."

"She made it back to Willingden safely, is trying to adapt to being back at home and I don't wish to reveal too much else, as it is my business and not yours, but, suffice it to say that she is not herself. She seems...resigned to being at home rather than content, and it doesn't seem that her family is offering any comfort. In fact, I don't think she has revealed anything to them of what happened with you, and honestly, I cannot blame her for that. Why not at least try to start anew?"

Sidney felt a stirring in his chest, his heart beating wildly. "She is not herself," he whispered.

"Honestly, I have not heard from her for at least a week, probably longer. Time has escaped me being in this room with you every day. So, for all I know, she has met a dashing young Lord and run off to Scotland."

"Shush, do not toy with me," he dismissed, clearly thinking.

"Why did you not consult any of us before attempting to take care of this on your own?"

"Where did that come from?" his head whipped to the side as he surveyed her.

"I have a lot of time to think if you hadn't already noticed."

"In answer to your question, I felt that the responsibility was on my shoulders to find an answer, no one else's. Except maybe Tom, but he was in no state to fix it."

Georgiana looked down at her hands in her lap, "And why did you not ask me for assistance?"

Sidney looked over at her, astonished, "What would possess you to think that I would, at any point in time, attempt to take away even a shilling of your inheritance?"

"Am I not a part of this family now?" she asked, looking up to make eye contact with him, her eyes welling.

"Of course you are a part of this family," he said, his tone soothing, "but that money was gifted to you by your father. I have been appointed by him to protect it as well as you, and I will not waver from that, Georgiana. I would never-"

"Even if I wished to invest of my own accord? If I made the choice, for myself?"

"Granted, that would be your choice, but you are not of age, Georgiana. Not only that, I believe that, under the current circumstances, were we to withdraw Mrs C's money and rely on yours, it would not be an investment that I would recommend as having any growth potential at present. That will come later. Much later, if we even succeed."

"But as my guardian, you could approve the transfer of funds. I know this, Sidney. I have researched it."

"True, but I would not," he said resolutely.

"Do you know what it's like for me? Have you even considered the position you have put me in by doing what you have? My guardian and my best friend are both living this perverse half-life, determined to stay separate for purposes of duty and loyalty to Tom Parker. Why would you go to such lengths to jeopardise your right to happiness? Think of what it will do to the rest of us, because it affects us all, Sidney. Not just you and Charlotte. ALL of us."

Sidney swallowed, taken aback, unsure of how to respond.

"You need to know that you are not the same man you were at the Midsummer Ball, and Sidney, we want that man back. We want Charlotte back. This rift has torn at us all, and we must find a way to fix it, to at least try to find a solution that doesn't involve you ending up trapped in a loveless marriage with a woman I cannot even tolerate, let alone allow into my life."

"Mrs C is more than I bargained for, that is for certain."

"She is awful, Sidney, the worst person imaginable. She has not been kind to me."

"What do you mean?" He lifted his head from the pillow to look at her, "Georgiana...has she done something to you?".

"I have no wish to repeat it, nor relive it, but her comments have certainly rivalled those of Lady D."

Sidney groaned in frustration falling back to his pillow.

"Let's just say that she has not been welcoming to me, and I don't believe that she will ever allow me to see you after the marriage. Nor visit you in London. I will be trapped here with Mrs Griffiths and the blasted Beaufort sisters for the sole fact that she does not believe I belong in her world."

Sidney turned to her, his expression altered, "Thank you, Georgiana." he said, his voice slightly stronger in tone.

"For?"

"For waking me up from this haze I have been in."

Georgiana looked at him mischievously, "And what would one do after waking from a haze such as yours?"

"I have no idea what I'm about to do, but I know that the situation I have landed us in is not desirable for anyone involved, even Mrs Campion, and I must find a way out. For your sake as well as my own."

"And for Charlotte."

"Yes. For Charlotte."