5

"Mary!" Tom yelled from the entrance hall at Trafalgar House. "Oh, Mary, I have such news!" he said, now hovering over her at the writing desk.

"Whatever it is, Tom, you are going to have to wait a moment until I finish this letter."

"Have urgent correspondence to finish, do you?" he asked, clearly of the opinion that his news was far more important than any task she may have.

"As a matter of fact, I do," and still, she did not look up from the page.

"Mary," he said incredulous, "will you not even listen to what I have to say?"

"I shall, when I have finished this letter. So, if you would like me to hear whatever news you have to share, I suggest that you leave me be, as I will finish the task at hand much faster without you hovering over me." Her tone had been matter-of-fact, but she met his gaze with such ferocity in hers that he found himself backing away.

Some minutes later, after sending the sealed and addressed letter off with Morgan, Mary returned to Tom's study. "Alright, then, tell me what you have to say." she began, and after the briefest moment of looking dejected, he stood up quickly as if unable to contain his excitement.

"I was very nearly beginning to worry, my dear, that something had occurred between Sidney and Eliza, but I have been in receipt of a letter written in her own hand." Tom was nearly bounding about the room, and Mary gritted her teeth to avoid the urge to slap him.

"And?"

"Why, she is to visit this very week. She mentioned something about a grand event that could not be missed, but that she would be here to see her dear Sidney as soon as she was able. Now, I wonder, Mary, if I might present her with the revised terrace plans while she is here. They are very nearly complete. I could have a word with Young Stringer to join us, perhaps."

"Do what you must, Tom." she said, suddenly in very low spirits, and turned to leave the room, but she was unable to prevent herself from turning back once more, "Do you not think it odd that she would attend an event when her intended is at death's very door?"

Tom spluttered, "Well, she is a very important woman, my dear. She must keep up appearances in London."

"Right." she said, coldly. "I believe that is all the answer I need, Tom." and she left to check on Sidney and Georgiana, her mind wandering to far more important matters at hand. There were many connections to be made. There was so much yet to be done. And now, they would have to endure a visit from the very last woman she had any wish to see.