Defending Her Love

The ball flew from Chris Paul’s hands to Blake Griffin. It was the middle of the third quarter, and the Los Angeles Clippers were down by one point to the Oklahoma City Thunder in a regular season game. Kendrick Perkins was pulled out to guard him. With the athletic advantage, Blake could have done a step back and rolled around for a baseline drive into the paint. Instead, he held the ball and looked around for an open teammate.

“Blake, drive,” Alexandra said from her seat, imploring her boyfriend to get on with it. “Go to the basket!”

She knew he could hear her. There wasn't even twenty feet separating them. She felt a few looks from surrounding fans, but she gave them no attention. Four seconds ticked by, and Blake handed the ball off to JJ who was coming around on a screen. DeAndre had to tip in JJ’s miss for two points.

Lexa shook her head, sighing in frustration. Marieka was watching her when she slumped back in her chair. “You’re so hard on him sometimes.”

Alexandra looked at her good friend. “I don’t mean to be,” she admits. Her eyes are following Blake as he defends his man on the floor. “It’s just…I know how good he can be. But he just doesn’t make the right decisions. It’s like he doesn’t see what he needs to do half the time.”

“And yelling at him in front of people is going to help that?” Marieka asked. “Look, girl, I’m not docking you for it. I just don’t know how much Blake would like you yelling like that in front of thousands of fans.”

The Clippers got the rebound and brought the ball up the court. Blake was passed the ball for the set they were running by Matt Barnes, and Kendrick Perkins once again was pulled from the paint. “Blake, please drive!”

He didn’t even hesitate this time. He did a quick drop step back to get Perkins coming forward, and ran around him. He drove straight for the basket and went up to slam it home, getting fouled by a lunging Perkins in the process from behind.

Alexandra jumped to her feet, clapping and cheering loudly. When Blake glanced her way as he leaned over at the foul line to catch his breath, she gave him a smile.

“I think he’s okay with it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alexandra and Blake weren’t supposed to find each other. His friends had been attempting to hook him up with some former beauty queen in Oklahoma. She was a friend of Marieka at the time. Beautiful girl—obviously, since she’d been a beauty queen. But Blake hadn’t really been into their date at the party, which probably hadn’t been the best decision for a first date anyways.

Lexa had been there with her girlfriends. She wasn’t a stick figure, but she radiated confidence like no woman could. The night she and Blake had met, she’d been dressed in a beautiful white dress that hugged her hips and thighs and cupped her chest perfectly. There were cutouts along her sides, mixing beautifully with her milk chocolate complexion. She was already tall in her own right, at a towering 6’0, but she’d been rocking those five inch heels like it wasn’t anyone’s fucking business.

That is, until Blake made it his.

Alexandra had felt a pair of eyes on her. She’d ignored the feeling at first, losing herself on the dance floor with her girls. She had a rocking curvy body, and she sure as hell knew how to use it. She was a teacher at a dance studio near the University of Oklahoma, and her main classes came in hip hop and contemporary dancing. The part-time job helped pay some of her bills that came with working on that diploma. She was a freshman Special Education major, and she wanted to be a teacher and work with special needs kids. As a girl with a younger brother with moderate form of autism, Lexa had a very soft spot in her heart for special needs.