How to Save a Life

Riley Reed didn't know the last time she'd been this tired. It was after eight on a rather loud night in the city of Los Angeles where she'd made her home. As a trauma doctor at Santa Monica UCLA Hospital, the twenty-seven year old was fresh off of a nearly thirty-seven hour shift. A doctor had called in sick, some nurses had been late, there'd been more than a few minor emergencies and one major—essentially, she'd been on her feet for nearly the entire shift.

Somehow she was still awake, and it probably had something to do with the Starbucks she'd been inhaling since her twenty-first hour.

The sun had set on the cooler LA night. She was pretty sure some storms might actually be rolling in, and Lord knew they needed it. After the past two days she'd had a work, Riley could think of nothing better than a long hot shower, a glass of tea and her bed for about ten hours. Or twenty.

Some unimpressive rap song blared through the radio of her SUV. She turned it down with a groan then reached behind her to pull out the clip that was holding her shoulder length brown hair out of her way.

Riley didn't think she was impressive to look at, especially with some of the nurses she worked with and some of the girls she called friends. While they had exotic coloring or unique eye/hair combinations, she sat in the corner with brown hair, brown eyes, and 'mom' body—as in a small waist and big ass and thighs. She liked her body, don't get her wrong. But her ass attracted a lot of attention sometimes, and it didn't go well with leggings, which sucked. But she was of slightly above average height and above average weight according the 'experts' but she was pretty sure she was doing mighty fine in that department. She was healthy; you had to be in her profession.

As she daydreamed about the possibilities of relaxing at home, Riley should have known something would happen to fuck it all up. Because that was her life at the moment.

There was a god awful screech of tires across tired asphalt accompanied by the sound of someone blaring on his or horn. Riley whirled around in horror at the sudden loud noise to watch as a driver screamed around a corner and rammed right into a silver Mercedes. The aggressor's truck bounced back. The car was shoved into two cars in the adjacent lane. And one of them was shoved back into hers.

That, however, was the least of her worries.

Riley opened her car door and climbed out as quickly as possible. From her years on an ambulance throughout college, she knew wrecks. And this one was serious. Broken glass littered the street. The Mercedes was smoking and its windshield was shattered but hadn't broken. The truck wasn't in as bad a shape, but it wasn't going anywhere by the looks of the front wheel.

Some cars were going around the wreck while others were stopped with their windows down and panicked looking drivers poking their head out. From where she'd been, Riley made it to the Mercedes first. A sound was coming from the back that caused a second of terror to course through her.

A child's desperate screams.

"Lady," Riley turned as she went to look in the front seat to find an older man next to her. He was wearing a suit, but he was obviously there to help. By her scrubs, it wasn't hard for him to deduce that she was in the medical field.

"Call 911," she told him. "Tell them we have a multiple vehicle wreck with injuries. We need two busses. One victim is a child."

The man listened to her, gloriously, because a look of fear crossed his face at the mention of 'child' and the sound of the cries coming through over the constant blaring of the Mercedes horn. The line would have to be cut to stop the sound, and it wasn't on her priority list.