Tutor My Heart {Rated R}

The Meeting

Amoni frowned at the time on her watch. Surely he wasn't late to their first advising meeting? She double checked her watch to the time on clock resting on her desk, and then triple checked it to her laptop. But the numbers weren't lying on any of the three.

Blake Griffin was twelve minutes late and counting.

The sophomore national scholar sat back at her desk in the athletic department's tutoring facilities at the University of Oklahoma and let a smile rush through her glossed lips. It was her first semester serving as an academic advisor and tutor to student athletes on campus. So far, she'd been assigned a couple of football players, one softball player, and some boy named Blake Griffin. He was apparently a big sign for the school, and he was her primary focus. And he was late.

Of course.

Then a kid-head, shoulders, and chest almost-taller than her cubicle appeared. Fake diamond earrings in his ears, Oklahoma basketball t-shirt, matching sweats and all. The clothes were baggy, and a little unflattering. But you could see in his pecs where the shirt caught before falling loose over his abdomen that he had some muscle.

"Amoni?" Blake asked sheepishly.

"Blake, I'm assuming? I'm Amoni, your tutor. Please, take a seat."

He dropped his backpack on the floor next to the chair as he plopped down. "Dude, I'm sorry I'm late. My class ran over."

Amoni barely kept herself from rolling her brown eyes at him. He really thought that would work? "You wanna try that again?" He looked at her in confusion. "I'm sitting here, as your academic advisor, Blake. I know your schedule. You don't have class today until 12:20."

He at least had the decency to apologize. "Okay, sorry. I was working out. Really, I'm sorry. No more lies."

"I'm going to hold you to that." Amoni handed over a schedule. "I've already talked to Coach Capel. This is your schedule for this month. The crimson is your basketball obligations. Green is your free time. Blue is class, and red is studying sessions with me. As in, you will not be scheduling anything during those times, unless word is passed down directly from Coach Capel. Understand?"

"There's a lot of red here."

This time, Amoni did roll her eyes. "No there's not. Listen, Blake. It's my responsibility, along with yours, to make sure you pass your classes and you fall into the flow of college seamlessly. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. I may only be a sophomore, but I know what's going on around here. Just listen to me and try your hardest, and I'll have you on the Dean's list."

"Okay," he said slowly. "But, all this red?"

"Don't start." She pulled up his personal education page and looked at his schedule. "A few suggestions: sit in the first three rows of your classes, keep your phone in your backpack, and don't skip. At all. You have no eight A.M.'s for a reason."

"You sound like my mother," Blake griped.

"I'll whip your butt into shape like your mom did too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The School

When Blake had visited the University to take unofficial visits and see his brother, he hadn't toured the campus very much. Since he'd arrived, he still hadn't gone around. He'd been back and forth between the basketball facilities, his dorm, and the best dining hall on campus. He hadn't even mapped out his schedule and where his classes were actually located.

Amoni showed him where his classes were at the beginning of each day his first week, just so he knew the fastest way to get there. But a couple of weeks into the semester, she took him on an official tour so that he could learn more about the beloved University of Oklahoma.