Chapter 21: Why are they here?

After we said goodbye to Parker, Scottie and I walked over to one of those games where you shoot water at a certain spot to win a prize. Personally, I didn't really like these games, but I was willing to compromise.

We sat down at the only empty seats left and paid the guy before grabbing the water guns and preparing to shoot.

"You better watch out Anderson, I kick ass at this game," Scottie declared. "Want to bet? I'll beat you so hard you go running home to your mom crying." Scottie laughed at my comment, and my stomach filled with butterflies. There was something so nerve-wracking about talking with someone you like, and I don't know if this feeling will ever go away.

I hope it doesn't.

The buzzer rang and the game started. Scottie was in the lead and smirked at me. I watched as he pressed harder to make more water come out. Determined to win, I discretely kicked his chair, making him fall over and let go of the water gun.

I managed to get ahead and win the game.

"Not fair!" he exclaimed, getting up and brushing the dirt off of his pants. "I never said you couldn't cheat," I shrugged, walking away with the giant stuffed panda I won as a surprise. Scottie smiled a little then jogged to catch up with me.

"So, what do you want to do now?" he asked. "The rollercoaster," I stated, pointing to the giant steel ride in front of us. I loved them so much. "Uhm, are you sure? Wouldn't you rather play another game or something?" Scottie half-asked.

Weird.

When I looked over at him, he looked really nervous and fidgety. Almost like he was nervous.

"Scottie, I don't know your middle name, Kraze, are you afraid to go on a rollercoaster?"

"No?" he mumbled, but it sounded more like a question than an answer. "You are!" I exclaimed. Oh, this was hilarious. A guy like Scottie was afraid of a measly rollercoaster, yet he wasn't afraid to get tackled by 250 pound linemen on the football field.

"I just don't trust them. I mean, for all I know it will break when we're upside down or going down a drop and I will plummet to my death. I'm not too fond of dying young, there's still so much I want to do," he explained.

"Fair enough, but I promise you that this ride is safe. I've ridden it every year since I was tall enough, and never once has it broken down. I'll be right by your side." I grabbed his hand reassuringly.

"You swear?"

I nodded my head. "Okay," he sighed. My fists pumped in the air. Yes! I had convinced him. Riding this was going to be so fun.

As we made our way over to the back of the line, we made small talk about school, our friends, things like that. "Wait, so if you liked me then, how come you agreed to come to the party with Parker?" Scottie asked.

Some how we had gotten to talking about the party that we went to months ago. We were talking about the games that went on and then he asked me why I came, and I decided to be brave and take the chance to tell him how I felt.

I wasn't too worried though, since Parker told me that Scottie already liked me.

"Well, your idiot of a best friend dragged me along so I would get a chance to hang out with you outside of school."

He raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yup," I said, popping the 'p'.

"Damn, that means we liked each other at the same time, because I've liked you since freshman year."

"Wait, WHAT?" I shouted a little too loudly, because the lady in front of us turned around and glared. "I'm sorry," I whispered to her, but she had already walked away.