Chapter 16: shinso likes boats

Start from the beginning

Screams erupted in the arena as Midnight announced, "Katherine advances to the second round!"

"THATS MY GIRL!" thanks dad...

"KATHERINE YOUR CROWN FELL OFF!" oh thank- WHAT

I scanned the fighting area to scout where my crown had fallen and didn't see it anywhere. My heart broke as I continued to search until Midnight told to me to get off the field. 

I sent the girl who had gifted it to me an apologetic look and climbed up to the stands to her.

"Hi, I'm really sorry that I lost the crown you gave me..." I said looking at my feet. I looked up at the girl to see her being a blushing mess.

"O-Oh well, I-I can always b-bring you an-nother one," she stuttered.

I smiled, "I'm injured right now, but I can take a picture with you before I go get fixed up...?" 

She nodded vigorously and pulled her phone out to snap a picture. 

After I took pictures with a few other people, I walked to Recovery Girl's office and found Shinso and Uncle Aiza waiting for me.

"Hey boys, is Recovery Girl in there?"

They looked at each other, then Uncle Aiza stated, "She's there, but I don't think you want to go in there, Kid."

I chuckled, "Why? Is there a scary mob of people who hate me or something in there?" and I walked into the Recovery Girl's clinic and found a couple kids from my class surrounding a cot.

I froze at the door when Kirishima and Sero both glared at me. I saw that it was Denki who was in the cot, still unconscious.

I laughed nervously and awkwardly shuffled back out the door before they could make me feel bad about winning my first battle.

I found a not very surprised Shinso and Uncle Aiza had vanished.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT MY CLASSMATES WERE IN THERE?"

"Because you didn't give me time to tell you, stupid."

"HEY, DON'T YOU STUPID ME! I'M GONNA CRUSH YOU INTO- owie," I whimpered as I felt a pain shoot up my spine.

Shinso just sighed and picked me up bridle style and walked into Recovery girl's office. I sat there in his arms with a frown in my face as he set me down on the cot farthest away from everyone else in the clinic. 

I gave him a grateful nod. He rolled his eyes and sat next to me after I made myself comfortable.

"So Katherine, what did you do this time."

"Hi Recovery Girl! I bet you saw what happened. Y'know, I was shocked half to death. Plus my head is killing me right now."

She nodded and looked at Shinso, "Are you her boyfriend or something?"

I went grimaced while Shinso calmly explained, "I'm her friend, ma'am."

I gaped at how calm he was and faked a couple sniffles, "Am I seriously that ugly? You didn't even blush a little bit. Y'know, you'd be super luck to date me, Shinso."

He hit my arm and said, "Just let her fix you, so we can watch the other matches, stupid."

Recovery Girl nodded and proceeded to plant a big kiss on my forehead, "Drink lots of water."

I thanked her and Shinso and I were about to walk out when Sero yelled, "I bet you aren't even sorry. I bet you thought knocking him out and making a fool out of him was funny, you evil bitch." (im sorry i made these guys seem like assholes but i had to pls forgive me i love these boys with all my heart)

I felt Shinso tense up, so I ignored him and kept walking with tears forming in my eyes that I wouldn't let fall until I won this damn festival.

<time skip brought to you by haikyuu s4 part 2>

The other matches were a mix of 'what the actual fuck' and *insert cricket noises*. 'I went to my waiting room to prep for my next match with Iida which would be interesting due the the fact that he's been one of the people who's faster and possibly smarter than me.

I silently stretched while thinking if a game plan. If I can get him to come close enough for me to  sing one note, I can take control and he wouldn't even know.

"UGH WHY DOES MY QUIRK HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS?!" I screamed, frustration clearly getting to me, "Why do I have a villain quirk when I want to be a hero? Is the universe laughing at me?"

"Uh... Angel, are you okay?" I looked at the door to find Shinso with a confused facial expression, "What is your quirk exactly?"

I sighed, "I can't tell you yet, Shinso."

He looked even more confused, "Why?"

"It's... complicated."

His face was blank. He blinked a couple times and said, "Okay, so that means we're in the same boat? Boats are pretty cool, y'know."

I deadpanned, "Huh?"

"You don't like your quirk and I think my quirk is controversial."

"Uh yeah... sure..."

He laughed, "Angel, I know how you feel, but you don't scare me."

I felt the tension I didn't even know I had release and I ran over and gave him a hug, "Thank you for saying that."

He flicked my forehead and said, "You're going to be late for your next match, Angel."

"OH MY GOD I FORGOT ABOUT THAT! I GOTTA GO BYE SHINSO!"

That's when I realized that I finally found someone who could actually relate to me and that made me feel like I needed to show the world exactly what Katherine Yamada was made of even all of the aspects of my quirk. 

I was ready and the past that kept me shackled to the fear of disapproval was slowly melting away.

~~~~

i love you guys so much<3 thank you for 100+ reads im gonna cryyyyyyy. ive had the worst week ever and i feel like total crap, but PEOPLE ARE READING MY STORY *SNIFFLE* AND THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY YOU DONT EVEN KNOWWWWW~ i tried to make this chapter at least 1500 words but i wanted to hit 2000 bc of 100+ reads. im sorry that im tired~

have a good week lmao,

cath