Moving On

I watched Elliot look around the room at the sign saying congrats Cassie and Alex and realise what was happening.

"You guys got married is that what you were doing when you both went away?" he asked.

"Actually", I say to him. "We have been married for a while now. When Alex and Amy broke up we were already married".

"What so he cheated on you with her", Elliot smiles. "A leopard never changes it's spots Cassie".

People were listening to the conversation now despite the music playing, "Alex never cheated on me".

Elliot laughs at me, "If I remember rightly I saw them kissing before you guys broke up".

I realised Elliot was trying to humiliate me and I was sick and tired of people attempting to do that to me. "I don't owe you or anyone else in here an explanation Elliot. I know my husband didn't sleep with her once we were married and that's all I need to know".

I leave him and grab myself a J2O. My mum walks up to Elliot, "My son-in-law alway kissed Amy on the cheek never the mouth. Now Linda you're welcome to stay Elliot you need to leave".

Alex looks at his dad, "Actualy dad why don't you stay and see how blissfully happy I'm".

Nick out did himself with the food, there was chicken wings, ribs, salads, rice and so much more. I don't know why but Elliot stayed and just as I was getting myself another plate of food Alex siblings came in the pub. Elliot look at them and for a second I thought he was going to have a heart attack. Instead he just walked right out the room without saying a word.

The party continued and Alex and I cut the cake it was lemon flavour and very sharp tasting just the way I like it. I did ask Nick to make a small chocolate one for me to take home and to my surprise there was a carrot cake as well.

Alex loves sweets so he was happy to see the cakes when all the food was eaten we thanked everyone for their gifts. There was no point opening them when we had to take them all back to the cottage.

By the time the party was over and we were back home it was gone twelve. We left the present opening to the next day. As we lay in our beds I say to Alex, " That was a great wedding reception".

"It really was," he replied.

The next morning I woke up late Alex was already at work. I walk in the direction of the pub and my uncle Fred calls me over. "Can I have a word".

I look at him, "Let's talk in mine yeah", we walk in the cottage and I put the kettle on.

"I just want you to know I'm here if you need to talk to someone. Call me no matter the day or time of night I'll answer the phone or reply to the text message. I'm dead proud of you for getting into university and realising  you could do better. Our Lexie got pregnant at eighteen I often wondered what she could have done with her life if she had a chance to make something of herself. You stand in front of me a university graduate who knew that angry kid all those years ago would turn out okay.

I flush at the praise, "Thank you uncle Fred".

He looks like he's fighting himself then he says, "Steve came round when you guys were away he didn't think you told our Margaret the truth. I set him straight and let him know he wasn't welcome here. I wanted to kill him but realised I needed to lay off him for the sake of your trial. Unfortunately he still came back to the village trying to find out where Meg was to tell her his side of the story and call you a liar. The family believes you don't you worry, now how was Scotland?"  I start to tell him about the fishing boat and how great everything was.