Like a moth to the flame

Start from the beginning

"It still feels weird," he said. Lhori noticed he was kind of jumpy like he shivered every time the demons passed.

"Are you ok? You look kind of pale," she asked, concerned.

"It's nothing. Just my senses are kind of overwhelmed here."

"Oh, right. You told me you could sense demons. I'm sorry, I haven't thought about it. Let's take a break in my office, then."

Noah followed her obediently through the campus. When she closed the door of her small office, he sat on the chair with a heavy sigh.

"Have some water," she said, handing him a glass. He drank it in silence, looking around curiously.

"So..." she said fidgeting nervously with her fingers. "What do you think so far?"

He looked at her with a frown. She found him hard to read. He was good at concealing his true emotions and feelings. That made her nervous for some reason.

"I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"It all seems... kind of artificial to me."

"Artificial? How so?" she frowned.

"It feels like it's all for show. I keep waiting for some demon to jump and try to kill me."

"Noah, it's not going to happen," Lhori said calmly. "It's all real. That's how life looks like here. Did you expect anything else?"

"Yes... kind of," he admitted and sighed. "Look, Lhori, I know you have good intentions. But I've encountered countless runaway demons and believe me; they were not like in this perfect little town of yours."

"I am aware of that. But among humans, there are bad people too. It doesn't mean there are no decent ones," she replied. Noah smirked.

"You do have a point."

There was knock on the door, and a timid looking girl came inside.

"Miss Lhori! – she started excitedly, but then her gaze turned to Noah, and she stopped. – Oh, I didn't know you are busy."

"I'm sorry, Sarah," Lhori replied with a friendly smile. "If you need to talk to me we can do that later this afternoon?"

"No, that's fine. I just wanted to stop here for a moment, to let you know..." the girl paused and smiled brightly. "He said, yes!"

"See! I told you he would!" replied Lhori cheerfully. "I'm so happy for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys!"

The girl thanked again smiling from ear to ear and left closing the door behind her.

"So..." said Noah, a mocking smile on his lips. "Let me guess. You're an expert on dating demons now."

"Shut up!" she hissed. "And no, Mr I-know-it-all. For your information, she is dating an angel, not a demon. So stop being condescending, and get up. We have some lessons to attend to. And afterwards we have to go shopping!"

"Shopping?" he asked frowning.  "Whatever for?"

"Because there will be a fancy dress party tomorrow and I need a dress. And I don't suspect you have anything to wear for the occasion?"

"Well, you didn't warn me there will be a party," he said acidly. "If I knew I would have come another time."

"And that's exactly why I didn't tell you," she said with a grin. "Don't be such a spoilsport. Party is the best way to get to know people."