8

CHAPTER EIGHT | THANKS, I HATE IT

Sometimes Oliver wanted to run away to Scotland. Right now was one of those times. It was Monday, a day that was hell to begin with, and the news just had to deliver possibly the worst news ever.

Oliver walked into the living room to see his Mom's face white as a sheet, the remote clenched tightly in her shaky hand. He really didn't know what to think was happening, so assuming the worst, he walked over to her quietly.

"- Accords are approved by 117 countries. The set of documents are meant to regulate the activities of enchanted individuals. The Sokovia Accords state that private organisations like the Avengers, are to operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it fit."

Oliver's stomach dropped. He felt like his body was floating, but the pit in his stomach made it painfully aware he wasn't.

He was going to be regulated, there was no way that he wanted to be watched by the government more than he already was. Plus, he was an out of shape fifteen year-old boy who just wanted to graduate high school.

The fact that he knew he was on SHIELD's lists also made him panic, because there was no way SHIELD had actually fallen, and that the US Government didn't have their documents.

He almost stayed home from school.

His Mom wanted him to, she thought he might freak out in one of his classes. He even got a text from Tony Stark, sure Oliver didn't remember putting his phone number on the application (it was his Moms), but it made him feel a little better.

Emma was the one who got him to go to school. She told him that he was new and nobody even knew who he was, and that there was a math quiz.

Oliver drove to school that day, his Mom had forced him into the passenger seat while he was standing mindlessly by the door.

Emma had greeted him at the front gate, her face scrunched up with worry.

"Don't worry Oliver, I'm sure you'll be okay," She linked her arm with his, "Anyway you are a minor, and Tony Stark's intern, how much more safe can you be?"

He laughed nervously, "Yeah, okay, you're right. Now, what about that math quiz?"

Oliver and Emma walked into the school, chatting about the math quiz, that Oliver was sure he'd fail. But at least he was taking his mind off of the more worrying subject.

Leo actually met them that morning.

While the two sophomores were at their lockers, Leo slung his arm around Emma's shoulder.

"Hello children."

Emma scowled, but didn't shrug off his arm. Oliver smiled up to Leo.

"Hey Leo," Oliver greeted while violently trying to shove a book into his locker.

"Guess what guys? I have some great news," Leo paused, trying to get the two's attention.

"What? Tell us then." Emma grumbled. She had started to grow warmer to the upperclassmen, but that included being kinda mean.

"Ouch, you wound me Emma," She stepped on his foot. "Owie, anyway, you two are looking at the new captain of the volleyball team."

Oliver clapped while Emma patted Leo on the back.

"Cool, I didn't even know you were on the volleyball team." Oliver had thought about joining a sport, but then decided that he did not want to do that much exercise.

"Yep, and now I have to try and recruit people at the club-thingy tomorrow, so wish me luck!"

"Ugh, my stupid brother is bullying me into joining a club," Emma hit her head against the locker, earning a few glances.

"Heh, my Mom wants me to, but I really don't want to." Emma grabbed Oliver's shoulders and shook him.

"I hate you so much, you have an internship and you're going to join a club?" She whined.

Oliver laughed nervously, looking to Leo to help him. Leo had a hand over his mouth and was trying to hide his laughter.

"Oh to be young again, without a care in the world except whether to join a club." Leo sighed. Suddenly, he snapped and pointed at Oliver.

"If you join the volleyball team you probably won't have to listen to the whole club thing," Oliver shook his head vehemently.

"No thanks, I'm not that good at volleyball in the first place, and I'm really not athletic." Leo sighed.

"Please? Pwetty pwease? With a cherry on top?" He begged, "I don't want to have to recruit people, please?"

"Uh-uh, no way, I am perfectly fine with joining a low maintenance club to make my Mom happy, sports aren't really my thing."

"But have you ever played volleyball? Like at all?" Leo really wasn't giving up on this. Emma had let go of Oliver's shoulders to watch Leo beg him. She was holding back a smirk.

"Um yes? But I'm really not interested in joining a team, I'm sorry." Leo dropped his head before looking back up.

"Eh, it's alright, I'm the captain now anyway so I'd have to set up a booth. But as long as you'll help me with practice a couple times I'll be okay,"

Oliver nodded, making Leo smile brightly. He ruffled Emma's hair then turned away, "Great, now I've got to talk to a teacher, bye!" He paused, "Also yearbook or garden club might be good to checkout they're pretty low-key."

Oliver and Emma waved to Leo.

"Well, wanna check those out tomorrow? I heard that some clubs were gonna be selling food too." Emma suggested.

"Yeah that sounds good."

"Also when are you going to tell Leo, about the you-know-what?" She added.

"Um, maybe whenever he asks me to help him practice?" He shrugged. It wasn't at the top of Oliver's to-do list at the moment. Things like the Stark Internship, Nimue, the Sokovia Accords, and school were already clouding his head.

"That's reasonable. Promise to record his reaction though, I have a feeling he's gonna faint."

"Wanna bet?" Oliver asked, nudging her shoulder.

"Twenty bucks he does," She stuck her hand out. Oliver took it smiling.

~

a/n - yo yo yo, totally late on updating, but I'm getting back into writing. Also I totally didn't forget what happened in the story and have to re-read it, because who does that? lol

Anyway, updates will probably not be on time, because of school. I have never experience pain until having to redo Khan Academy math practices/quizzes over ten times to get 100%, who tf decided that you have to do all four problems over and over and over. I had to redo one so many times that I did all SIXTEEN of the problems and had them written down (I just kept writing them in wrong).  So, Algebra 2 sucks, so does the Great Gatsby.

Thank you for reading this story, I have no idea what's happening in it!