22

[Warning: +18 - Explicit sexual content]

It was bound to happen. Why did I think we could go a whole cruise without? Everything had gone so well up until now, but of course it couldn't last. My stomach churns at the thought of what could happen, and I take a deep breath, hoping the feeling will go away.

About an hour after we left Barbados the weather turned. Grey clouds came rolling in and the waves got bigger. Of course, we had come prepared and as soon as the captain had announced that we were headed into a storm, I had popped some anti-sea sickness tablets and started praying to every god or other deity out there to let us make it out alive. Sure, maybe I was being a bit over dramatic, but there was no way I wanted to spend my trip on the toilet, or dead. That is not too much to ask, right?

Phoebe had also taken the tablets, but she's generally much better at handling motion and dramatic events. She even went out and got us some cokes and chips and now we're sat on our beds, feeling the giant ship move with the rising waves as we munch on our snacks and try not to get sick.

"I hate this," I say, nibbling on one of the last salt and vinegar chips in the bag.

"Tropical storms happen all the time, this is no different and we'll be fine," Phoebe reassures me before taking a long drink from her soda.

Water splashes up on our small windows and my stomach does another dip as the ship tilts to the side before levelling and then tipping to the other side.

"If this was a ride in an amusement park it would be super fun," Phoebe muses and I shoot her a death glare.

"Or not," she mutters and looks away.

There's a knock on the door and Phoebe and I stare at each other for a moment in confusion.

"I swear to god, if that is a crew member with lifejackets telling us to go up on deck I will scream," I say as Phoebe gets up and wobbles over to the door.

"Glad we're not overreacting," she says dryly and opens the door.

"Damien?" I say in surprise.

"Hi."

Phoebe steps aside to let him in and closes the door after him. He's wearing black shorts and a simple white t-shirt with the cruise line logo across the heart. His hair is a little unruly, like he hasn't combed it after our swim at the beach. His eyes search mine and my stomach jumps in excitement, or maybe that's still just the ocean's fault. He walks straight over to me and sits on my bed.

"Signal is out during the storm, but I just wanted to make sure you were okay?"

"We're fine. Just taking it easy until it passes."

Phoebe scoffs, still standing by the door and I shoot her a look.

"Good to hear. On my way here I heard several people screaming like we were all about to die. This is a minor storm so no need to panic."

"Yeah, we're keeping calm. I know we're safe here."

"Ha!" I shoot another death glare at Phoebe and now Damien turns to her as well with a raised brow.

"Oh, we're totally keeping calm in here, aren't we, Ellie?"

"Completely calm," I say through clenched teeth, but just then the ships rocks to the side and my whole body tenses up and Damien, whose hand was resting on my leg, looks to me.

"Hey, Ellie, it's okay." His hand rubs my thigh and I take a deep breath and try to focus on the feeling of his hand on my skin.

"Will it help if I say I've been through way worse?"