You know nothing about me, girl

The rest of Nathan's day had gone from bad to worse. His hand had been throbbing painfully all day, and that hadn't been helped by the football that had slammed into it at practice that lunchtime. He hadn't gone to the medical room, because he didn't want to have to answer nosy questions and potentially end up in hospital if they wanted to check it out further. As far as he was concerned, if his fingers could all move normally, he'd just have to grit his teeth and wait it out. It was frustrating not being able to write, and having to repeat his excuses to successive teachers. His friends were convinced he had been in some street fight with a kid from the estate, and seemed to think his busted up hand was cool. At least he was telling the truth this time- it really had been shut in a car door.

The cloud of gloom settled further on his shoulders throughout the day. He hadn't done well in his Chemistry test, and it was an unpleasant surprise. He was thankful that he usually managed to breeze through school with mimimal effort, but it was clear he needed to step up if he wanted to pass his exams well. He didn't know why he cared so much, as he was never going to be able to use his GCSE's. You didn't need them working at McDonald's, or to be more exact, the chip shop his idiot of a stepfather owned. Vivienne Eastwood hadn't been far off the mark, after all, he thought, a wry smile twisting his lips.

In the middle of last lesson, he pulled his vibrating phone from his pocket to see a message from his mum. She had to work an extra shift this evening, so he would need to pick up the kids from school. He sighed, wishing that she didn't have to work so hard. He worried about her. Recently, she had been looking even more pale and drawn than usual, with bags under her eyes. Shoving his beat-up Nokia into his rucksack, another thought hit him. Today was the trial for the senior football team. Squeezing his eyes shut, he tried not to let the wave of disappointment overwhelm him. Their coach had made it very clear that whoever didn't turn up could forget getting a place on the team. There was no way he could ask his mum to skip work- she was only clinging on to that job by a thread, anyway, and he couldn't imagine his step-dad being too understanding if she was fired. The kids needed to be picked up before 4:30, and he knew he'd never make it if he stayed. He wouldn't let them wait for him on the street, it wasn't safe. He'd just have to let it go, he told himself.

***

As Nathan rushed out of the school gates at the end of the day, he felt a small pang of guilt when he remembered the way he had spoken to Vivienne Eastwood that lunchtime. Although she was a stuck up cow, she had genuinely seemed concerned about his hand, and he wished he hadn't been so defensive. He was so used to keeping his guard up that it was hard sometimes to let things go. He also felt bad that she still didn't understand the maths lesson-although she hadn't been paying attention, he knew that she was one of the kids that struggled in that class, and he could have helped her out.

As he passed the bus station, he suddenly spotted her, with that girl, Mercy, who seemed to be joined at the hip to her. She pursed her lips when she spotted him, and started to whisper something to her friend. He drew in a breath sharply through his teeth, angry again now he remembered what else she had said to him, about not having a future. Perhaps it made him mad because it was true, but she had no right to say it. 'Stuck up bitch,' he raged, inwardly, 'probably an only child and planning to go to university on Daddy's money'. Somehow, what she had said to him reminded him of his stepfather, and it felt good to hate anyone who was remotely like that creep. He returned the glare she was giving him, not pausing in his stride. He didn't want to be any later than he already was.

***

He reached the junior school at 4:15 exactly, according to the red ladybird clock that sat proudly over the front entrance.

Before he even reached the small library, he could hear his siblings. Quickening his pace, he hoped that they hadn't caused too much destruction in the 45 minutes they had been waiting for him. The door in front of him suddenly flew open, and six year old Esther came through at full pelt, launching herself at his chest and nearly knocking him over.

'Nathan! I thought you were NEVER coming!' she exclaimed theatrically, as she flung her arms around him.

'Calm down, Es!' he chuckled, ruffling her hair, 'I swear you're gonna be on stage someday. I'm not even that late!' She giggled as she let go and ran to pick up her bag and coat.

'Hey, mate,' he greeted, as he spotted eight year old Aaron,frowning as he pushed his taped glasses up his freckled nose.

'Can I walk home on my own?' he begged, gesturing towards the younger kids, who were fighting over a book, 'they'll embarrass me if my friends see me.'

Nathan cast what he hoped was a reassuring glance towards the cringing librarian and moved to seperate them.

'Nah, I'm sorry. I need your help, mate. Joel, Eli, get off and pick up your stuff. Miss Rathe won't let you stay in here anymore,and you'll have to wait outside in the cold if you don't behave yourselves.'

Reluctantly, they let go of the pirate book and collected their things. Nathan sighed. The boys weren't twins, although they were very close in age. He thought he had heard his Mum say they were Irish twins, whatever that meant. One thing he did know- they never seemed to stop fighting.

Eventually, he manage herd them all outside.

'I hope they weren't too much trouble,' he called doubtfully to Miss Rathe, who just stared at him from her desk. She wasn't the first person to realise that their family was crazy, and probably wouldn't be the last.

He grabbed Eli's hand and gestured to Aaron to do the same with Joel. The younger boys couldn't be trusted to cross the road without running off, and his hand was far too painful to be able to take both of them. Glancing back to make sure Esther was following, he set off.

'Come on, guys, let's get home.'

If only that Vivienne Eastwood could see him now. She was wrong, he had a future. It was these kids.

A/N

'Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.' John 7 v 24.

Kudos to whoever knows what Irish twins are? :)

What do you think of Nathan now? Is your opinion different than when you finished the first chapter? Please let me know your thoughts! :)