"What was that for?" she whispered, obviously trying to give of the impression of yelling.

"I could ask you the same thing. It almost gave me a heart attack seeing you here."

"I- Lei sneaked me out." Her voice cracked. "I'm so sorry. You told me not to hang around him but I didn't listen and now look where it got us."

"It's okay," he reassured her, gently stroking her hair. "He's an idiot for hanging onto you. Where is that disgrace of a man? I'll deal with him later."

A tear ran down her cheek as she replied, "Oh, Connor. He's dead. He killed himself. Some are probably relieved, but what do I tell the others?"

"Let's-" he began, but was cut off by a sudden cry of pain followed by screams of protest and horror, all caused by a pillar of fire that only one could manage.

Lielle was back in DC.

* * * * *

Getting to the front line of the Thriller side was a task of its own, but once there, a whole new one awaited. A few soldiers from both sides lay roasted on the ground in the six feet between, but what caught Connor's eye is what lay between a few soldiers in black and gold was a pair of brilliant green eyes, now clouded and dulled by whatever she had faced.

Thoughts of torture caused a wave of nausea to roll over him and he remembered her brief message. "They will start a war. World War Three." At that moment he knew it was true. They would not stop until they got precisely what they wanted and they would take dangerous measures to get there. They would gladly start World War Three. No regrets.

It was only once she stood three feet away did he realize that she had moved. Lielle's face looked the same, only paler, everything seemed dulled. But he had never seen her hair up before, though he thought this look suited her. It made her features sharper and she looked older in a good way. The problem was that young love never lasted, especially when the girl was hijacked into doing the bidding of the enemy side.

Then the young woman began to speak with a hurt, "You-" and before anyone could register, he was already on top of her with his hands on her waist and lips on hers, unmoving until they both closed their eyes and really felt the moment, their moment.

So, fully aware that hundreds of people were watching, he sighed, "I never want to lose you again," then his lips found his way back to their spot on her mouth fully trusting that even mind control and hallucinations could not get her then.

After a few seconds she pulled away. "Connor, I-"

"Save it," he ordered. "We've got a battle to fight." So trusting that she would follow, he turned, keeping his gaze away from Evie, afraid of what he might see. "Are we just going to stand here?"

* * * * *

Orders had it that Lielle was to be evacuated from the war sight but in no way was there any chance that would be what happened, so the trio did the next best thing and watched the action from the roof of the US Court of Appeals. Lafayette Square was overcrowded with a mix of tourists trying to clear out, and groups of soldiers trying to get in, creating a mess in which many Thrillers on both sides busted out their abilities sending the whole normal population into panic. The havoc of the battle began to make its way toward the White House and the President's Park near which several newsgroups still mulled around alongside many citizens watching the action.

"We should go evacuate the people," Lielle suggested. "Lets-"

"We should not do anything," Connor countered, spinning his finger around. "Evie or I can go."

"Or we can all go-"

"They need you alive, Lielle," he argued

"Don't act like my protector, Connor," she spat.

"Well if I don't, who knows what you'll do. You're reckless sometimes."

"I'll go and leave you two to discuss," Evie compromised.

After she left, the pair fell silent. "I am sorry I did that. I was being impulsive and I have always looked up to you. I just was not thinking and I was crushing on you since you saved my life the first time. I guess I just admire you and we got close. I should have asked in private if you felt the same."

After a minute, Lielle asked, "Is that it?" After a brief nod, she sighed. "There's just so many things that are wrong with this. For starters, how does Evie feel? You've been her best friend for who knows how long and I'm sure she expected something between you two."

"We both knew that we would never be more than best friends. She's almost four years younger than me anyway."

"There's another thing; the age difference. You're thirteen and I'm almost fifteen."

"Actually," he checked his watch and waited a second. "I'm fourteen as of... now."

She raised her chin to the sky. "Midnight," she muttered. "August nineteenth. Happy birthday Connor. And just so you know, you are kind of cute, but what happens when you lose all of that baby fat?"

"Oh, shut up!"

"Well that's nothing to say on your birthday," she teased. He laughed right up until she fingered his scar and pulled him back into a dream with her soft mouth that he never even dreamed of touching before that night. This was his new reality.