Prologue: A letter from a friend

To my dearest professor,

If this letter reaches you in time, I understand your confusion. For one, it is rude to leave unannounced gifts on one's front door, let alone one such as grand as yours but I have lost all others worthy enough in trusting such a gift. That basket contains one of the last hopes in these uncertain times, as You-know-who seems to be a past threat.

As for how I found them, well, that will be another story for another time. You-know-who has ears and eyes everywhere. I barely made it to the station before one of his minions followed me, thankfully a sticky end came at his own hands.

But as this war sinks into the shadows and traitors dress as neighbouring friends, I entrust to you, as the new legal guardian. For I fear that I'm too poor and too dangerous to raise such a fragile thing, I have no doubt that you will be successful in their development. Those walls housed the best years of my life. I had friends, three great friends... I was terrified they would desert me the moment they found out what I was. And yet it was not I who turned out to be the true monster in the history books.

In that bag is everything needed for their safety. I have found that they have a peculiar interest in the tales of dwarfs, and frost giants, of treasure and magic. You'd be smart to teach them young of what is real and what others think is fiction.

Be sure to notify the Ministry of the child, they should be signed in for new beginnings and hope for a brighter future. I am sure the Ministry will try to deny their existance, but your reputation will keep them from greedy men.

I do have one final request; do not look for me. As many friends have risked their lives on the cause, I to shall not rest my head till all of us are free from this madness, please take care of the child till I come back safely. By doing so, they are my hope to start life over on a good note and give them the friends that I once had.

And tell Snape to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business.

Moony

P.S. yes, the ropes are needed.