Chapter 2: Have fun making rivals

It was a small, dirty pub. Sprout's keen eye helped me notice its existence, otherwise, I would have missed it. The muggles hurried past without giving it a glance. They shifted their eyes from the large bookstore to the record shop, seemingly unaware of the Leaky Cauldron's existence. Just as I was about to mention it, Snape led me inside.

For a famous place, it was very dark and shabby. In a corner, a group of old women sat, enjoying small glasses of sherry. One of them had a long pipe for smoking. actions. The old bartender, resembling a toothless walnut, conversed with a little man in a top hat. The low hum of conversation ceased upon our arrival - A clear drinking spot for the teachers.

The bartender reached for a tap, saying, "The usual?"

"Not today darling," Sprout sighed, "Emergency supplies -- Thea, can you look at your supplies list... it's on the back,"

"It's Howell, now... wait, on the back of what?" I tapped my pockets, feeling a small patchment, I pulled it out and unfolded to read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY UNIFORM

First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

COURSE BOOKS

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

- The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk
- A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
- Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
- A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
- One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
- Magical Draughts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
- The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT

- 1 wand
- 1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
- 1 set glass or crystal phials
- 1 telescope
- 1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS

"Can we buy all this in London?" I asked.

"If you ask the right people," said Snape. He tossed his cape to the side and took a seat by the fire, "I am needed here, run along, Howell,"

"Did you--?" I stopped, almost crashing to a large painting.

It was of on a tall, thin man with hazel eyes and untidy black hair that stuck up at the back, his robes were a deep red and he had the biggest smile. At the bottom the name engraved was - James Potter: a fallen soldier, a kind friend.

McGonagall stood beside me, eyes lowered, "We lost many people during the war; but the Potters hurt the most." She turned to Snape who stared blankly at the fireplace, unmoved, "I think you'd better find Sprout, before those 'emergency supplies' turn into 'new experiements'."

I nodded, followed Sprout out to the backdoor, out into a small, walled courtyard, where there was nothing but a trash can and a few weeds. And Sprout couldn't stop pacing.

I spoke up, "Were the Potters-,"

"Nonsense, Thea," She answered, far too quickly.

"Oh, sorry," I shrugged.