Pink Sweaters and Civil Agreements

3rd Person's POV

"We have had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There was a round of polite but fairly unenthusiastic applause during which Harry, Ron, Karina and Hermione exchanged slightly panicked looks. Dumbledore had not said for how long Grubbly-Plank would be teaching.

Dumbledore continued, "Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the —"

He broke off, looking inquiringly at Professor Umbridge. As she was not much taller standing than sitting, there was a moment when nobody understood why Dumbledore had stopped talking, but then Professor Umbridge said, "Hem, hem," and it became clear that she had got to her feet and was intending to make a speech.

Dumbledore only looked taken aback for a moment, then he sat back down smartly and looked alertly at Professor Umbridge as though he desired nothing better than to listen to her talk. Other members of staff were not as adept at hiding their surprise. Professor Sprout's eyebrows had disappeared into her flyaway hair, and Professor McGonagall's mouth was as thin as Harry had ever seen it. No new teacher had ever interrupted Dumbledore before. Many of the students were smirking; this woman obviously did not know how things were done at Hogwarts.

"I don't like her."

Pansy chuckles quietly and pats Karina's shaking hand, "You don't like a lot of people."

"That is true. But there's just something about her... something is off."

Karina glances over and catches Draco's gaze. She smiles lightly before looking away. Draco frowns as he watches the new Slytherin boy stare at Karina with gleaming eyes as he sat close to her.

"Thank you, Headmaster," Professor Umbridge simpered, "for those kind words of welcome."

Her voice was high-pitched, breathy, and a little girlish and again, Karina felt a powerful rush of dislike that she could not explain. All she knew was that she loathed everything about her, from her stupid high nasally voice to her fluffy pink cardigan. She gave another little throat- clearing cough ("Hem, hem") and continued: "Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!"

She smiled, revealing very pointed teeth. "And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!"

Almost as if the scene was playing on a screen, the room changes into a pink office full of weird things all over the wall.

Karina looks around frowning and tapping her foot as Harry clears his throat, making her look over at him. She stops tapping her foot and sits up straight in the desk.

"There," said Umbridge sweetly, "we're getting better at controlling our temper already, aren't we? Now, you are going to be doing some lines for me, Mr Potter and Miss Grey."

"No, not with your quill," she added, as Harry bent down to open his bag.

Karina looks at her confused. What the hell would they be using if they couldn't use their own quills?

"And how are we supposed to do your ridiculous request?"

Umbridge grins evilly, "You're going to be using a rather special one of mine. Here you are."

She handed them two long, thin black quills with an unusually sharp point.

"I want you to write 'I must not tell lies,' " she told Harry softly.