"Uhh..."

"It stinks."

My face flamed. "It's not hurting you, is it?"

She grinned. "Aw, that's really sweet of you to be concerned, but no. Only if we eat it. What did you do? Squish it all over yourself?"

"It's soap."

She considered this. "Hmm. Not bad. Won't protect you much though. Just makes you smell."

"Yeah, I figured as much," I muttered.

San leaned forward to take a whiff as well. He gagged. "Oh, that's bad."

I glowered at him.

"Sorry," he said, chuckling.

Kaz pointed at the food. "Eat up. We have to meet with the headmaster soon and those two have to go to class."

"We tried to get excused too, but Evander wouldn't let us," Adora explained, adjusting my bandage one last time before seeming satisfied.

"That's okay." I hesitated. "Can you let me know if people are talking about me? What they're saying?"

"You shouldn't listen to what they say, but I'll let you know. I get anxious about that stuff, too."

"Thanks, Adora."

After we finished eating, Adora and San hurried off to get ready for class. I took my time cleaning up the leftovers, my heart rate increasing at the thought of going to see Evander. I knew I wasn't in any trouble, but I still felt worried. Kaz must have sensed my nerves because he nudged me in the side as we headed out of my room.

"Why do you look like you're walking to your death?"

"Do I?"

"Either that or you lost more blood than I thought yesterday. You're amazingly pale."

"Would it be bad if I said I don't want those students expelled?"

His eyebrows shot up. "What?"

I played with the end of my hair as we passed the multiple guards in the common room. I paused when I realized there were five instead of two. There was barely enough room for all of them. All had decorated swords strung to their hips. I didn't think I would get used to the swords. Kaz and I had to squeeze between two to get to the stairs.

"Cleo, they could have killed you."

"But I understand their reasons. If my family had done something..."

Kaz shook his head. "No. There is no reason for them to have done that for you. No matter what happened in the past. Adora said it last night. You're not responsible for what your family has done. They're getting the punishment they deserve."

"But..."

Kaz stopped at the top of the stairwell and turned to me. "Your father has done terrible things to my family, too."

My mouth went dry. "What?"

His gaze went past me, focusing on the stained-glass window. "I wasn't going to tell you. When Evander said I would have to be your guide, I didn't know why it had to be me assigned to you. He knew what happened between our families, but still made me do it. I... wasn't happy about it. I couldn't imagine what type of person Cleo Levant would be. Adora told me you were a good person, but Adora is obsessed with humans. How could I believe her?"

I clasped my hands in front of me. "Kaz—"

"I was like everyone else, too. I thought I would hate you. I thought that you coming here would only lead to destruction. That you were planted here as a spy."