12 Time

Wow that took a lot of brain power for some reason.. Hope you enjoy:D

Chapter 12- Time

Arie's POV

The room smells of freshly cut grass and dirt. It’s a comforting smell, so I close my eyes and allow myself a few seconds to just breathe before advancing towards the Gewls.

Slowly, I open my eyes, allowing them a few seconds to adjust to the light again before stepping out of the shadow of the door and into the large council room. A loud voice greets me from the center of the room.

"Good, good I was just going to send for you." I was surprised to see just Briella, Nayna, and High elf Samon waiting for me.

"Where is Leoh? And Camilla?" I ask, confused.

"They're heading in for the day. We have some important things to discuss before you can rest." She pulls out a thin scroll from inside her sleeve and lays it on the table behind her. I advance to the table in the center of the chamber, confused at having just seen Briella at their camp. How did she beat me here?

“Uhm, not to be rude...but, didn’t- weren’t we just back at your camp?” I ask quickly.

“Why yes, I went the short way, cutting through the building.” She smiles as I recognize my own stupidity.

“Ah right, having taken it so many times, I forget that the garden path is not the only way to travel.” I smile and she continues.

"What we have to tell you is of great importance. We’ve located your sister... and we also have something that we thought you’d like to know. It concerns the powers you’ve be granted. But let's start with your sister, shall we?" I nod and move towards the scroll on the table. Briella gently pushed the scroll open until it was flat, revealing a small map painted in delicate strokes.

"There is a village filled with those who children are taught to fear, those who are trained to kill and to cheat, and those who we defend this city against. It lies hidden just among the edges of the forest and is almost a days journey from here."

"So close?" I ask her, genuinely surprised.

"Yes, It’s taken us a very long time to locate because we had been searching far and wide, not thinking that the enemy would be so unintelligent and make their camp right on our border, but there they are!" She laughs gruffly and then clears her throat.

"So what does this have to do with my sister?" I ask her, sitting down in one of the chairs next to the table.

"We think she is being held there. Delly told me just after you left that she had seen your sister locked in a cell, bound, but unharmed as far as she could tell." Briella seems relieved but I was drowning in my confusion.

"But why would they take her? Who would want her? I mean, what has she ever done to anyone? I'm still not seeing the answers here..." My patience runs out as I try to explain my confusion, thumping my hand on the table in my impatience.

"That's what we needed to talk to you about... Now, you've heard the legend of the Gewls, have you not?" Closing my eyes, I nod, remember the first time we had met. She turns, the star on her face more prominent in this lighting. Honestly, all I can remember is that they are the guardians of the Moon Pool, but I keep my mouth shut, wanting them to skip forward to explaining who took my sister.

"So then you know of our secret, the secrets of the Moon Pool? You've dreamt of it, but do you understand it?" She asks me, sounding anxious.

"You mentioned a secret when we first met...but I'm not sure what you mean." Suddenly exhausted, I lean on the table.