8 Turned

Alright, here comes a pretty emotional chapter... but It had to be done. I'm beginning to tie up loose ends now:D Hope you like:D

Chapter 8- Turned

Aleaya's POV-

Where shall I go? I've never been out of the city before! I should have grabbed a map or something. Stupid Stupid Stupid!

I wander along a deer trail in the forest outside our city, trying to recall the name of the forest I was lost in. Knowing it had something to do with starlight I rack my brain, sounding out different combinations of the word.

Star shine? Sunshine? No, it's definitely something to do with a star and then the word vale. Starry Vale? Sunny Vale? No no no!

I stomp down the path, wondering why I even dared to leave in the first place. Suddenly I feel warm glow on my chest. My locket begins to hum, reminding me of my new found power.

Oh that's right. Because I could. I laugh to myself and continued along the path, fiddling with knife I had stolen. I hold it close, examining the silver, webbed lines running along the length of the blade. The blue was only a shade lighter than the sapphire in my locket.

There was some writing on the hilt that I hadn't seen before. I couldn't understand what it said so I hadn't really looked at it in great detail. I trace the swirls and spirals with my fingertips as I walk along the path.

Father could tell me the name of these woods. Father would know. I sigh as I think of the walks father used to take me on, answering every question I asked, even if they were pointless and strange. He used to make up stories of how the different plants and animals got their names. He died when I was only four years old, I couldn't fathom his death at the time, all I remember are our walks now.  There’s a sharp pang in my chest as I realize how much I miss him.

I go back to tracing the symbols on the hilt with my finger, not looking at where I was going, thinking again of the name of the forest..

What if it wasn't something to do with starlight at all? Maybe I'm thinking of Starlit Path leading to the Academy forest. Yes, that's it.  I huff and sit down on a log.

What was I thinking? I'm too young to do this by myself. I have no experience and I have no idea what I'm even doing out here! I kick a branch in frustration, a cloud of dirt floats up when I nudge the stick with my soft, leather boots. As I examined the dirty spot I realize just how dark it was getting. A chill had settled in the air leaving me wishing I had grabbed a cloak.

I'm not even dressed correctly! I was wearing a thin, black tunic and tight black pants. I had a brown braided belt around my waist and brown knee- high leather riding boots. At least my hair, which was the same color as my sister's but shorter and crazier than hers, is pulled back away from my face with a black cord that mother had given me just this morning.

*flashback*

“Tame that mane” She had told me, thrusting the band in my direction. I laughed at her, grabbing the band and twisting my hair into a messy ponytail.

“Better?” I asked her, laughing again as she nods.

*end flashback*

The memory makes my eyes sting. I try to think of something else to get my mind off of it.

At least I have something other than this knife for protection. The bow will come in handy when I need to eat as well. I sheathe the dagger and look around, trying to figure out where I should go from here and trying to dispel the memories. I'd been walking for what seemed like hours. No one would think me brave enough to wander so far away from home so I wasn't worried about being followed.