Chapter 26

"Why are you still crying over him!" Chase yelled.

We never got into these types of arguments. Yelling was extremely rare.

"I don't know, Chase! Don't you think if I knew I would stop?!" I shouted, thrusting my hands behind me in anger.

"I don't know anything anymore! I don't even know you anymore!" He shouted.

"Well, I don't know me either!" I bellowed, letting my voice crack.

Chase was silent. I was silent. A moment of utter stillness ran through the room.

"I wish I did," I muttered, collapsing to the ground in tears.

"I wish I did."

********************

When I woke up, light was streaming through Cole's window. We were late.

"Cole!" I shook Cole who was sleeping peacefully next to me. 

"What?" he groaned, sitting up.

"We have school! Get up!" I said, trying to get out of bed. Cole held me down to him and nuzzled his face into my chest.

"I shut off your alarm last night. We can skip class today and go to practice," he mumbled, already resting his eyes. I sighed and resisted, trying to get up.

"No...." Cole mumbled again, pulling me closer.

"Cole, my Mom is home! She's bound to ask why we aren't at school," I look down at him, "honestly she's probably going to ask why you're here at all,"

"I don't care," he murmured, sitting up. He ran his hand through his matted hair, messing it up.

"I want pancakes," he said, standing up with a loud stretch.

"Then make yourself some," I said, sitting up, realizing my shirt was still off. I crouched back down under the covers and blushed.

"Here," Cole tossed me his shirt from yesterday and I slipped it on before standing up.

"Please make me pancakes," Cole begged, walking to where I was standing.

"I don't want to," I groan, yawning.

"Puh-lease!" Cole gets, literally begging on his knees. I laugh and pat his head before walking past him.

"Fine. But you have to help."

*******************

An hour later we were covered in pancake batter, but very happy with our empty, syrupy plates. Cole offered to do the dishes, and I let him, stretching again.

"I still think we should be at school," I mutter, coming up behind him and hugging him.

"One day of missing school won hurt us. We can rest up, then go to practice. Okay?" Cole says, putting the dishes on the drying rack.

"Fine," I mutter, nuzzling my head into his chest. My stomach felt all fluttery, and I was suddenly nervous. Cole didn't deserve to have a girlfriend like me hiding things from him. I needed to tell him.

But I couldn't. Not yet. I wasn't going to tell anyone yet.

"Hey, can we talk?" Cole asks, wiping his hands on a towel. I nod and walk with him back to his new room.

"SO I want to go over some things," he says, sitting down on his bed. He taps beside him and I sit down, folding my legs beside me.