Chapter 38

I brushed a tired hand through Atticus's bangs. He needed a haircut. Dragging him to a barbershop was almost as tiring as trying to get him to eat.

I ran my hand across his slim arms. They needed more meat on him, as did the rest of his body.

He was always so exhausted. I don't remember the last time he looked well-rested.

I sighed and removed my hand from his head. HE stirred under me.

"I thought you were supposed to take care of me," I whispered with a small smile.

I guess the roles have been reversed.

****************

The courtroom was smaller than I thought it would be. When I was younger, since I was alone often, I would watch all sorts of reality TV shows. In many dramas, the courtroom was shown as a beautifully decorated, spacious room with high ceilings, packed with people.

This room was simple. Almost quaint. There were two columns of seats behind the area for the accused. I sat alone on one side while a few of Atticus's family members sat on the other. 

I had been watching him since the case started. He was twisting his wrists in what looked like slow, painful motions. His eyes darted everywhere around the room. From the high ceiling to the gavel ner the Judge's hand.

Charles sat in the seat of the accused, professing his alleged innocence. I'll be honest, for most of the case, I was dazed. I had no idea what was going on. I watched as a few family members testified. Even my mother agreed in the end. 

I'm not a violent person, but the glare Charles shot my mother with made me want to wring his neck the same way Atticus was wringing his hands.

And then it was done, and the judge wanted to take time to make her decision. I was allowed a break.

I stood up, smoothing the skirt of my dress, before quietly padding my way down the hall. I felt Atticus's eyes on me but willed myself not to turn and face him.

I opened the door and looked around. Many people were walking around, all wearing classy pantsuits and dresses.

 Still, I continued to look around until I saw him sitting there, his knee bouncing up and down.

I walked to him, restricting my movements. I didn't want to embarrass myself here.

"Is it done?" he asks, when he sees me, immediately standing up to greet me, embracing my arms.

I shake my head, "No, she's making her decision now," I reply, looking up at him. he even dressed up slightly. He was wearing a light blue button do and black pants. 

"Whatever happens, everything is going to be alright," he says, kissing my forehead gently. I nod and take a deep breath. My nerves were up and running all over my body, through my veins. I didn't want my mother to suffer through the same thing I did.

"I gotta get, back, she's gonna make her decision at any time," I say, standing up on my tiptoes to kiss his cheek. He smiled and kissed me one more time before watching me go, taking back his seat, the same knee bouncing up and down.

It brought me a small amount of comfort that he was stressed like I was. It made me feel like I wasn't alone.

When I again retook my seat, the judge was back, sitting in her seat.

"After careful consideration," her gaze leers around the room, settling on each of our faces for a brief second, "I have made my decision."

"Charles, Knowles, please rise," she motioned.