Chapter Four

96 days since the wreckage
***

Lauren studies my eyes for a long moment, trying to decide whether or not she can trust me. 

To be completely honest with you, I'm not sure whether or not she actually can- I can tell Cory whatever I want, if I want- but I'm too invested in whatever it is she has planned to tell her that.  She needs to think everything she tells me is confidential.

"Everything you tell me is confidential."  I tell her, keeping eye contact and nodding slightly.

"...Okay," Lauren says, "but not here, text me, we can meet somewhere later.  Thanks Shawn.  You're the best."  She gives me a quick side hug and walks off. I turn back to watch her walk away.  Her stupid shoelace ponytail bouncing back and forth.

"What was that?"  Topanga says from behind me, she's standing where Lauren was a moment ago.

I turn back to face her. "What was what?"

"That." She gestures to Lauren.  - Apparently she doesn't know who the "new girl" is yet, either.- "She totally just gave you a hug.  How quick is this moving, Shawn??"  She nudges my arm.

"It's not moving at all." I say, quieting my voice so she doesn't get excited.  "She's new here, she asked for some help, I told her I'd help her and she hugged me. That.  Is. All."   I told no lies

"Are you sure that is all?"

"Topanga,  you're my friend.  If there was anything at all, I would tell you and Cory first. Besides,  I've got my eyes on a different girl.  You know that."

"Shawn..  have you even talked to Angela lately?"

"Well–"

"Shawn." She gives me a look you would expect from your mother

"No.  I haven't.  It's been a few days.  But–"

"But nothing, Shawn.  Things are not looking too good between you two. And you've got this cute girl totally flirting with you already."

"I swear to you, nobody was flirting."

Topanga gives me the look again.

"I swear!" I repeat.  Sounding way more defensive than I should have. I decide to change the subject, "Where's your husband?"

"In the bathroom."

"The one place you can't follow him."

"Not at school, anyway." She bounces her eyebrows and then quickly blushes.

I laugh at her embarrassment.  It's funny because she did it to herself.

Cory joins us as we laugh. He puts his arm around Topanga's shoulder.

"Whats funny?"  He says, laughing a little himself. 

"Cory! That new girl just totally hugged Shawn!"

"What?!?  Really!?  Do you like her?? Whats her name??  Is she real cute!?"   He got real excited real quick.

"I don't know her, Cory. I dont know why she hugged me.  But it wasn't flirty."

"Oh.  Well you should get to know her.  I think I see something beautiful blooming."

I raise an eyebrow at him "You didn't even see anything.  Besides,  I only have eyes—"

"For Angela" Cory finishes my sentence. "Yes Shawn. That's very sweet and all, but you said Angela isn't even really your girlfriend."

"She could be." I say, without much confidence.

"Then you need to wash that other girls number off your hand and go talk to Angela."  Topanga says.

"I will. I'll talk to her as soon as I get the chance."

"Wait! Back up." Cory says "That's this new girls number?  You got it already??"

"I didn't ask for it.   She just wrote it on my hand."

"Shawn, I know you said nobody was flirting but that is totally flirting." Topanga says. 

"It is not!"  I say over the bell as it rings "I'll catch you guys later!" I walk off toward my next class.

Listen,  I love Cory and Topanga.  Sometimes they get on my nerves, though.

I love that they care, but in a situation like this.  They need to butt out, or someone's going to end up seriously hurt.