Chapter Three

96 days since the wreckage
***

"Can you help me find Cory?" She asks.

My jaw is still on the floor, I'm in utter shock of who is standing right in front of me.

Lauren.

I never disliked Lauren.  She's sweet and all and seemed to really click with Cory. They would have worked out together, I think.

It wouldn't hurt to help her.

"Uhh..." I start as I look frantically back and forth to see if Cory and Topanga are still around. "He just left... but he'll be here tomorrow and you can find him then."

"You couldn't take me to him?" She pleads. "I just need to clear some things up with him."

"I shouldn't." I say with a sigh, knowing it would be wrong for me to help Lauren find Cory after she almost tore him and Topanga apart...

However, thinking about it, having them apart may not be half bad.  I could have both my friends back without them hanging on each other, Cory could find something new with Lauren, And we could snip the drama.

Maybe.  I don't know how Topanga would feel about this.  It may bring her and I closer though. 

"Can I give you my number and you can have Cory call me." Lauren asks.

"You can give me your number." I state.  "But that doesn't mean I'll have Cory call you."

"That's fair" she proceeds to take my hand and write her phone number write underneath my locker combination. "Thanks Shawn.  It means the world to me that you would help." She smiles. 

I give a small excuse for a smile back and then duck out of the conversation. Making my way outside.

"Out of all the people..." I mutter to myself.  "It had to be Lauren. Why did it have to be Lauren?"

Lauren caused all kinds of trouble just a few months ago, and now that things are semi-good again she thinks she can waltz right in here and stir stuff up again.  She even has the audacity to ask me to help her.  Pathetic.

I glance at her number on my hand. Maybe I could help her without Cory and Topanga knowing it was me.

She really likes Cory, right? But the only way she ever has a chance of getting with him is if Cory and Topanga ditched this honeymoon stage and decided to call it quits, for good. 

Now I'm about to sound like a terrible best friend for saying this: but that doesn't sound like the worst idea. 

***

The next morning at school, Lauren winks at me from across the way, I pretend I don't see her and go to find Cory.

"Shawnie! Good morning." He finds me first.

"Hey."  I turn around

"Hi!" Topanga greets me, she's hanging on Cory's shoulder

"Hey" I repeat.

"What's up? You're not late today!" Cory says as the three of us continue to walk down the hall.

"Oh, not too much.." I cross my arms when I notice Topanga glaring at Lauren's number on my hand.

She raises an eyebrow at me.

I give her a look that tells her to keep her mouth shut.

She nods.

"No?" Cory continues, oblivious. "Are you busy after school? Because Topanga and I thought we might go see a movie. You can come too if you want."

"Yeah," I say with a bit of a laugh "like I'd want to accompany you two love doves on your date.  I'll pass."

"Suit yourself." Topanga says.

"If you change your mind, you're still welcome." Cory says whilst turning his attention to his girlfriend. "Right cupcake?"

"Of course." She smiles at him.

Jeez, I'm sick of them, but I would just hate to break them up. 

***

I catch up with Lauren after homeroom.

"Hey, you find Cory yet?"

"Not really,  it seems we have completely opposite schedules.  I've seen him a few times in the hall. But not without Topanga hanging on his shoulder." Lauren rolls her eyes with that statement.

I mirror her expression.

"I know!" I agree "they've been inseparable!"

She nods.

"That makes this a lot more difficult." She says

"What exactly is this?"

"As if!" She scoffs. "You're his best friend! I cant trust you with any sensitive information. You'll just tell him."

I think about that for a moment.

"You can trust me." I assure her.