Chapter One

79 days since the wreckage

***

Things are finally getting back to the way there were before our little trip to the ski lodge. Cory and Topanga are back together and slowy learning to trust each other again. Mr. Feeny is still dragging us down with so much work (it's our Senior year and he still can't cut us a break). Angela and I are just as wishy-washy as always. Apparently she doesn't believe in labels. So I'm really not sure what we are. But we're all happy, regardless.

It's the last day of winter break. So Cory, Topanga, and I decided to hit up Chubbie's to celebrate our official "last first day" of school before we start our final semester of high school.

Oh, how I'm so ready to get out of John Adams High. The place is such a drag, it's a wonder anybody survives four years.

As we sit at our usual booth, we chat about how strange it will be to graduate. And how much our lives are going to change moving forward.

"I don't know about you guys, but I'm stoked!" Topanga exclaims as she dips a French fry into her milk shake.

"Of course you are, you're headed off to live your dream." Cory replies with a bit of sadness.

You can just tell that while he's proud of Topanga, he is not thrilled about his girlfriend leaving for Yale. And definitely not so soon after they fell back into love.

"I'm just ready to finally get the heck away from Feeny. " I say with a bit of a laugh and a hope to break the tension.

"I'll miss him too." Cory adds.

"You live next door to him" I remind him.

"Oh yeah! Never mind then, just Topanga"

She chimes back in at that moment. "It won't be that long and we'll be back in each other's arms." She leans on his shoulder and he plants a kiss on top her head.

I roll my eyes at a the lovey-dovey stuff.

"Oh come on, Shawnie, it can't bother you that much. You got your girl!" Cory reminds me of my not-so-stable situation with Angela.

"Barely." I reply as I stir my soda with my straw. "We're not much. If anything at all."

"Shawn, Honey." Topanga reaches out and squeezes my hand. "Some girl, some day, is going to be very thrilled to have you in her life, I promise."

"Yeah! I'm thrilled and I'm not even a girl!" Cory adds.

I manage to smile at that. He's such a dork.

He got so lucky with Topanga. I look at her and smile. She's such a good friend to me.

Cory's so lucky. I'm an unhealthy amount of jealous of what he has

***

Back home, I give Angela a call.

"Hey Shawn!" She answers.

"Hey... have you got a minute, can we talk, please?"

"Well actually, I'm kind of on a date right now."

"A date?" I ask

"Well yeah. We never said we were exclusive, Shawn. Look, I got to go. We can talk tomorrow at school. I Promise. Bye now." She hangs up.

I stare at my phone screen for a long time. Not surprised, but definitely taken aback.

"Hey, yaknow it's a lot easier to use if you turn it on, man." Jack reaches over my shoulder and pokes the home button on my phone to turn it on.

"Duh." I toss it on the counter.

Jack tilts his head at me "You good?"

"Yeah I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know. You just looked a little-"

"It's fine." I cut him off. "I'm going to go get ready for school in the morning." I say as I start back to my room.

"Oh yeah! It's your last semester of high school!" Jack exclaims and follows me. "How do you feel about that??"

"Fine." I deadpan

"Just fine?"

Raising my voice, I turn back to him, "What do you want me to say, Jack?? I'm thrilled. Excited. Kinda sad about it."

"Jeez man, I'm sorry. What's your problem"

I turn back toward my bedroom "I need you to leave me alone."

"Shawn."

"I said leave me alone, Jack."

"Seriously? Look if something's bothering you-"

I figure he would tell me that I could talk about it, but I slam my door before he can finish, leaving him in the hall.

I'm not really upset about Angela going out on her date with who ever she's with. I'm just desperate for some genuine love, yaknow? And I wish she felt the same about me as I do about her.

I lie back on my bed and sigh. How is it that Cory and Topanga can go through all they've been through here recently and still love one another. And Angela and I can't even stay steady without any issues.

Maybe I'll ask her if she does want to put a label on our relationship. Call her my girlfriend and claim her as my own. Exclusively.

That's wishful thinking, Shawn. Stop it.

***

School starts tomorrow. So I iron a shirt and gather my items into my backpack. Just so I don't have much to do in the morning and maybe I can sleep in a bit.

Then I go to bed, and I lie awake for quite some time. Wondering what it would be like to have a relationship like Cory and Topanga's. Man... they got so lucky..

Someday, I will have a relationship like theirs. And someday I'll be happy.