Chapter Two

96 days since the wreckage
***

I walk up to my locker and put in the combination that I've had written on the back of my hand since the semester started. A kid will be transferring from a school in Pittsburgh and specifically requested a locker close to the girls room. So guess who had to switch lockers in his last semester of high school?

If you guessed Shawn Hunter you would be right.

Cory and Topanga may as well be newly weds. I sigh as I slyly watch them across the way.

Not to sound selfish or anything. But neither of them have paid much attention to me since the whole fiasco at the ski lodge months ago. I know that's dramatic but dang it, somebody ask me how I'm doing, please. (I mean, I'd most likely lie to you, but I still want you to ask.)

I put my stuff back in my locker and peer around the corner to my old locker to see if this new girl is here yet.

She is.

I can't see her face. She has dark hair pulled up in a high ponytail tied off with what looks like a shoelace but... I don't know maybe it's the style?

I watch her from a distance as she empties a small cardboard box of binders and snacks into her locker and hope she doesn't catch me staring.

Has she been here all day or did she just show up at the end of last period to unpack?

I duck back around the corner as turns back.

"Boo!" Cory exclaims, which makes me jump.

"Jeezez Kid, at least warn a guy when you're behind him." I lean against the wall to regain my dignity after almost squealing.

"But then I couldn't scare the guy from behind." Cory laughs. "What are you doing Shawnie?"

"Me? Oh I'm not doing anything."

"Really... cause it looked like you were spying on the new girl over there."

Dang it...

"Spying makes it sound bad. I was just investigating. Yaknow making sure she was worth giving up my locker for." I laugh a little nervously.

"Shawn." Cory deadpans. "You didn't have much of a choice with the locker situation... Mr. Feeny just said--."

I cut him off "I know, Cory."

"So....?" Cory smirks at me and bounces his eyebrows.

"What?" This guy is ridiculous.

"Is she cute. Worth taking out for milkshakes and then maybe getting some... milkshake?" Cory laughs at his own filthy joke.

I glare at him and try to hide my grin. "I didn't even see her, Cor."

"Well shucks. We can just go say Hi." He suggests.

"Cory!" Topanga interjects. "There you are. I lost you." She steps up and gives him a little peck on the cheek.

I roll my eyes.

"You ready pumpkin?" She walks her fingers up his shoulder.

"Whenever you are. You're the boss" he replies.

"That's right." She agrees with a big cheeky smile.

"We'll see you later Shawnie. Good luck with your investigation!"

Cory and Topanga then walk off... leaving me. Again.

I'm sure I'm not the only one getting my hopes up about this new girl being worth my time. She's probably been swarmed with guys since she got here, whenever she got here.

I don't think I could handle a new school. I can barely handle this one. But this girl is coming into a new school. Over halfway through the school here and from what I've heard. She's more excited than she is scared. I guess she's got some friends around here or whatever. I don't know but I would not want to be in her shoes.

In all my thinking about all this. I hadn't realized that I was being spoken to until I felt a slight tap on my shoulder.

"Shawn, Hi!" A voice from behind me speaks..

I turn around and actually lose my breath for a moment.

It's her.