Chapter Six: Magnussen

I stared at Sherlock. His gaunt face was tense and his raven black curls covered his pale eyes. He turned away from me. I backed out the door silently and shut it softly behind me. I opened my phone. A picture of Mary stared back at me. My one true love - my fiancée. I loved the woman who was supposed to be my wife but I had fallen for the man who was the reason she wasn't.

I entered my bedroom quietly. It hadn't changed since I moved out. The bed sunk in as I laid down, resting my head on the cool pillow. I drifted into a light sleep, vaguely aware of the tight grip I held on to the sheets with.

Afghanistan. Gun shots ring out through the sky and smoke covers the blazing sun. Dozens of men fall, blood leaking through their jackets and pain painted on their features. I close my eyes and the explosions become distant. A deep voice whispers from behind me. I open my eyes and turn. Sherlock. "Seen a lot of injuries then? Violent deaths?" A loud banging interrupts his words. "Enough for a lifetime," I answer sternly. "Wanna see some more?" he asks smirking. "Oh god yes." The banging continues. "The game is on, John Watson."

I bolted up in my bed, my heart racing. A loud knock sounded from the door. I walked over slowly, still shaking off sleep. I opened the door to face Sherlock, a worried look hidden under his calm facade. "You were yelling," he said breathlessly. I shook my head. "Just a dream." He looked me over carefully, his eyes lingering on my chest, beneath which my heart had failed to slow. "Oh," he said quietly, turning away, latching the door behind him. I backed up against the door, sliding down the wood. I cradled my head in my hands, drawing my knees to my chest. Mary's face flashed before my eyes. Shit.

Sherlock sat in his chair, his legs crossed beneath a newspaper. "You've heard of Charles Augustus Magnussen of course?" He asked casually, oblivious to the tension that hung thickly in the room. "Yeah. owns some newspapers - ones I don't read," I replied, confused. Sherlock grunted then continued reading the paper. I waited for him to continue but he stayed silent.

"Mycroft, quit waiting at the door" Sherlock shouted after a moment. I turned to see Mycroft step into the flat, two agents trailing behind him. "Why did you call me here, brother mine," he asked, twirling his umbrella at his feet. "Magnussen."

Mycroft's eyes widened. "Get out," he snapped at the agents. They hesitated. "That name you think you may have just heard - you were mistaken. If you ever mention hearing that name in this room, in this context, I guarantee you - on behalf of the British security services - that materials will be found on your computer hard drives resulting in your immediate incarceration. Don't reply - just look frightened and scuttle." They did as told and left the flat without a word. Mycroft turned to me. "I hope I won't have to threaten you as well." "Well I think we'd both find that embarrassing," I replied. Sherlock snorted. Mycroft crossed his arms. "Magnussen is not your business," he growled. Sherlock pointed at his brother, a smile dancing on his lips. "Oh, you mean he's yours." Mycroft glared at his brother. "You may consider him under my protection." Sherlock glared back. "I consider you under his thumb." Mycroft sighed. "If you go against Magnussen, then you will find yourself going against me," he said quietly. Sherlock smiled. "Okay I'll let you know if I notice," he said nonchalantly, strolling towards the door. "Er, what was I going to say? Oh yeah..." He opened the door and faced Mycroft. "That's all... Bye Bye." Mycroft sneered. "Unwise brother mine," he said venomously as he stepped out into the landing. "Do not appall me, brother mine." Sherlock slammed the door in Mycroft's face.

"What was that all about?" I asked gesturing towards the door with my hand. "We have a new case," Sherlock said, straightening his suit. "What sort of case?" I asked hesitantly. "Too big and dangerous for any sane individual to get involved in." I huffed. "You trying to put me off?" He smiled. "God no. I'm trying to recruit you."