17: "Just a book?!?!"

Thank you Asher_Were for the amazing cover. This chapter is dedicated to you😘

Ryan's POV 🤓

Fact: Almost 70,000 thoughts come to the human mind every day but I never thought I would dress up for Halloween. Gee thanks Universe.

As I walk into school after spending 8 hours on my costume I keep thinking, Why did I do this?

"Hey guys," I said with all lack of enthusiasm in me.

"Woah, it looks so good. You make a scary Frankenstein, Parker."

I am doing this for her. Why am I doing this for her? Why did I listen to her?

I glare at her and she smiles nervously while giving me two thumbs up.

Kristy came closer to my face, forgetting the fact that personal space exists.

"Nice! Who did your makeup and how long did it take?

"First of all, I can't answer that if you're half an inch from my face and I can smell everything that has been in your mouth, second of all who eats pasta for breakfast and thirdly I did it myself and it took 8 hours"

She moves back and does a breath check. Kyle shoves me, playfully " Dude, it's Halloween, be excited, why are you so grumpy?"

"Puisque tu veux savoir si mal, je déteste ce costume et je déteste cette tenue avec tout ce maquillage et je déteste le fait que tu me demandes pourquoi je ne suis pas heureux quand je ne suis jamais heureux", I respond my voice getting louder with every word. ("Since you want to know so badly, I hate this costume and I hate this outfit with all that makeup on and I hate that you ask me why I'm not happy when I'm never happy",)

The three of them stare at me unblinking.

They are dumb, I forget.

"Just forget about it", I say, switching back to English, " so what are you guys meant to be?"

I wasn't paying attention when they were talking yesterday.

Kyle says, " I am Stefan."

"Who?"

Three of them gasp dramatically and I roll my eyes.

"Salvatore, I know. Why do you have to be dramatic?"

"And I'm Elena Gilbert. I literally look like Nina Dobrev.", says Kristy

"Well.......not really, you're more like the Walmart version."

She scoffs and glares at me. I snort.

"Which makes you what?", I say, turning to Caramel.

"I'm a witch"

"Ok. I asked what you're costume was."

"I just said it. I said I was a....". It finally clicked.

She's slow.

She scoffs, glares at me, and points at her wand, saying, " Careful I can just Expelliarmus you right now."

What? Is she trying to reference Harry Potter? No.

"No. Expelliarmus is a disarming charm. You can't say that. It doesn't make any sense. Do you even- "

Kyle puts his hand on my shoulder.

"It's okay bro, she probably didn't mean it."

"What? It's just a book." Caramel shrugs

Just a book? Harry Potter is not just a book. Dumbledore's death is the only thing that almost made me cry ever.