Chapter 1: The Rest stop.

[Y/N POV]

It's crazy that this all started on the way to our local beach towns boardwalk. You might not know the name, but you'll probably know it from its most famous ride 'The Cranium Shaker'. It's this crazy ride that slingshots you up into the air, and almost half of all the people who ride it throw up. My number one priority on this trip was to KEEP. MY. DISTANCE. I don't do well in tense or stressful situations, so you can imagine what would happen to me if I was shot into the air at high speeds. I would probably end up on one of those viral videos of people passing out on The Shaker.

That's besides the point. Back to the point, this was destined to be an interesting trip, but not nearly in the way I expected.

As we were driving, My little brother, Sammy, started screaming at the top of his lungs. Of course. He always needed to be the center of attention, yet he was very stubborn. Before we went on the drive, he refused to go to the bathroom, and now he's whining about needing to go to the bathroom. He's 9 years old, but still acts like he's 5.

We stopped at a rest stop that was along the way so Sammy could go to the restroom. While he was using it, I decided to buy myself a coffee from the Starbucks inside. As I was waiting for my coffee to be ready, I tried checking my phone, but I didn't have any notifications. I started looking around, waiting to see if my brother would come out of the bathroom anytime soon.

While I was looking around, I saw an interesting looking guy. I recognized him because of his smile. He had a very similar style to mine, yet more... messy. His hair was more matted, his shirt less tidy, and his eyeliner was smudged, yet somehow, the smudged eyeliner made him all the more attractive in a weird way.

I was looking at him when him met my gaze. I tried to dart my eyes around the room to make it seem like I wasn't staring at him, but he kept looking at me, smirking. I was so flustered, when the barista called my name I stumbled.

"Oh, uh, um- yeah. Yeah that's me I'm Y/N".

I could see the boy staring at me from across the rest stop still. He got his soda from the Burger Joint, and started strolling over.

His confident smirk waning, I could tell he wasn't actually as confident as he seemed to be, and talking to someone in person was much more intimidating.

He finally came up to me, his confidence almost entirely gone.

"Hey, um, uh, I'm, wait, um-" he fumbled with his words. "Shit." He mumbled under his breath.

"Let's start over. My name is, uh, Rodrick." He finally said.

"Alright, my names Y/N." I said. Now I was the one smirking. It was mildly empowering to have a shift in the dynamic, yet he was putting on a cool guy facade. It wasn't working, but it was kind of funny.

"It's refreshing to see another punk here. You don't get many from the punk scene here." I told him, trying to break the ice.

He mustered a fake, breathy laugh in response. "Ha, yeah. The only punks I really see around here are the guys in my, uh in my band." He stammered.

I was intrigued. He was in a band? That actually impressed me, and it got me more into the conversation.

"Wait- you're in a band? That's really cool, because I'm also in a band." I replied. He looked up, seeming more interested and attentive.

"Yeah, my band plays like, really deep, punk-ish rock music. We're called 'Löded Diper'"
That made sense, seeing as that's what his shirt said. I didn't recognize it, which was strange because I usually recognized punk bands.

"You should come watch us play some time, that would be pretty, um, cool, y-y'know." He was still trying to put on the cool guy act, and, as much as I hate to admit it, it was sort of working.

"Do you live in (your city name)? That's where my band and I play most of our gigs." He said.

"I actually do live there, it'd be really cool to come see you play." I told him.

"My band is called Green Hair. We're more of a riot grrrl band, even though we aren't entirely composed of girls." The band name was pretty unique, because of its origins. All of the members dyed a different part of their hair green. The drummer dyed her bangs green, the guitarist dyed their front right strand, the singer dyed her front left strand, and I, the bassist, dyed all of my hair green. That's most likely why Rodrick even noticed me in the first place.

"It'd be really cool if we could open for your band sometime." I was half joking, but half of me was serious. While it's hard to admit, it was inspiring to see a local band have real gigs and be semi-pro.

The offer shocked Rodrick in a way. I could see it on his face. He looked, dumbfounded, in a way.

"Oh, um, whoa, yeah, that would actually be really cool." He responded.

"Wait." I said. "I want to hear some of your music first, just to get a feel of what it sounds like."

Rodrick looked a little surprised by this. "Oh, um, yeah, that makes a lot of sense."

He pulled a pair of tangled black earbuds out from his pocket. "Here." He said, placing one in my hand. I put the earbud into my ear, only to hear really loud music. I winced a little loud sound, but once it settled in, I noticed I actually liked it. It was a sweet spot between rock and punk, and Rodrick's drumming was actually insanely good. He kept perfectly on beat. This was actually one of the times where I didn't focus on the bass line of the song.

I could tell he was looking towards me to see if I liked it or not. I nodded and smiled, because I genuinely did like it. "This is really good, dude!" I had to raise my voice to say it, but the sentiment was still there. Rodrick looked excited while still trying to play the cool guy role, but let it down for a second in order to pump his fist silently a little.

The empathetic healer side of me was happy that I made Rodrick smile and that I made him feel good, but the teenage side of me liked feeling loved, and wanted to see if I could get him to like me more.

Just as I was taking the earbuds out and give him my number, we heard two boys screaming in the bathroom. We both whipped our heads around, only to see Sammy, and some boy who looked a few years then him older run out. The older boy was carrying paper towels, while Sammy's head was entirely wet.

"That's my brother." We said in unison. It took a second, but we figured that those were both of our little brothers.

"Let's go see what's going on." Rodrick said. We both walked over, and as soon as we came up to them, Sammy started screaming. "I WAS WASHING MY HANDS WHEN I FELL INTO THE SINK, AND THE BOY SCREAMED LIKE A LITTLE GIRL, AND- AND-" I stopped Sammy to calm him down and tell him to be more quiet.

I looked over to Rodrick to see how he was reacting to the situation, when he promptly punched his brother in the arm and whisper-shouted "GREG! C'mon dude! What the hell." His brother looked up at him with a grimace on his face, holding his arm where Rodrick had punched him. "I'm telling mom you said a curse word!" His brother said, before running off.

"I-I'm really sorry, I gotta go catch up to my brother, I'll, um, I'll see you around." Rodrick smiled before running off towards his brother. I felt happy that I'd met him, but sad that he'd left without getting any way of contacting me.

I walked out with my brother, full of sorrow thinking that that was the last time I would see Rodrick.

I could not have been more wrong. That was far from the last time I would see Rodrick...