Mrs Carlyle flushed in response, "Yes, we rather hope to add more, in time."

"You are from... Norfolk, was it?" Susan asked as she absently smoothed her gown.

"Indeed," Mrs Carlyle answered.

"I have only just arrived in London, myself," Esther said, "and I will admit to having grown fonder of the place."

"Yes, I imagine it will grow on me...eventually," said Mrs Carlyle, releasing a vacant sigh as if she didn't quite believe it all the same.

"Lady Babington has only recently moved from the most delightful seaside town," Susan added.

"Oh? Do you speak of Brighton? Or... Weymouth?" she began to wring her hands nervously, as if she were attempting to recall other well-known seaside resorts and couldn't quite manage it.

"It is a town called Sanditon," Esther said.

"Sanditon?" she asked, looking slightly relieved, "Why, I have heard often of Sanditon."

"Of course you have," Susan said, glancing over at Esther, "any society lady who is informed has heard rumblings of the town that will soon become more fashionable than Brighton."

"More fashionable than Brighton?" Mrs Carlyle echoed, a note of surprise in her tone, "now, that I haven't heard."

"Oh, my dear Mrs Carlyle, you won't wish to spend another moment in Brighton after witnessing the beauty of Sanditon," Esther joined in, and Susan caught her eye for the briefest of moments, her lips curving upwards before returning to their earlier position.

"And I have no wish to spread rumours, dear, but," Susan continued, "I have heard that a most particular friend of mine wishes to attend several events there throughout the summer months." She raised an eyebrow. "In fact," she added, "he may wish to spend more time in Sanditon than he does Brighton."

Mrs Carlyle looked as if her eyes may pop out of her head as she registered what this meant, "Indeed, Lady Worcester... indeed. Thank you so very much for keeping me informed."

"My pleasure," Susan smiled.

"We had hoped to acquire a seaside property in time for the summer season."

"I shall pass along my contacts to you, then," Susan said, reaching for the teacup that had just been offered to her, "I have only just acquired property there, myself, and plan to stay for the summer."

"And forego Brighton?" she asked.

"Yes," Susan said, placing the teacup back in its saucer, "I find that it is best to get out early on. Once word travels that a certain friend prefers another town, well...it seems unnecessary to stay for the aftermath when one is in the know, wouldn't you say?"

"I see..." Mrs Carlyle began to wring her hands again.

"Tell me, Mrs Carlyle," Susan continued, "have you searched for a seaside property now that your London house has quite come together? London often becomes a ghost town during the summer months."

"Yes...yes I have, and all in Brighton, I must admit," she looked ashamed at the mention, "though...we might yet have a chance to explore our options."

"Well, I can say with certainty that between Esther and myself, you would have two friends to introduce you to many more in the town."

"Oh, lovely, indeed," said Mrs Carlyle, "I find it is always an advantage to have acquaintances when moving to new places. You know, it is quite uncanny that you chose to call today, and even more curious that Sanditon became a topic of conversation."