Chapter Eight

After school, I left with Tamara to put up the two tables that she had with Mrs. Woods. Mrs. Woods had short red hair and freckles. She wasn't as thin as my mom. She was big-boned like her daughter. Although Tamara had some weight issues, she had the most beautiful face I had ever seen. I thought that she could easily be a plus-sized model and although some kids made fun of her sporadically, the truth was that they also found her attractive. I'd dare to say that Tamara had a prettier face than Gina's.

"Hi there Natalie. Thanks for helping out," Mrs. Woods said.

"Sure Mrs. Woods. I'm glad to do so," I replied putting up the table. Mrs. Woods who was driving a trooper opened her trunk. There were trays and trays of cookies and cupcakes.

"Okay, let's organize all of this little deliciousness on the tables. I don't know if they'll all fit, so..."

"Oh, that's okay mom, we can just put a few up, and then when they sale we'll just put some more," Tamara said.

"Not a bad idea kiddo."

"Mom, don't call me kiddo," Tamara said. Mrs. Woods shrugged.

"Oh, right. you're the cool kid now," Mrs. Woods said. I laughed.

"What?" Tamara asked me accusingly.

"Nothing," I replied. We placed the cupcakes on the table and the students immediately came down to buy the cupcakes.

"Okay, kids, just give me a sec. We have no change, so please make sure that you have change before buying. Cupcakes are $1.50 and cookies at $0.75 cents. This is for the Halloween dance and with the cash we make we'll be hiring the coolest DJ ever!" Mrs. Woods said. The students were already opening their backpacks and looking for their wallets.

"Um... what's that one over there?" A kid asked me pointing at a cupcake on my side of the table. I had no idea what to tell him."

"Ah... well a cupcake," I replied.

"Duh. What flavor?" He asked me.

"I don't know. I didn't bake them," I replied.

"That's vanilla. This is banana, vanilla flavored, this one's chocolate, and this one's strawberry," Tamara said pointing at the cupcakes.

"Are they made with egg? Because I'm allergic to eggs," the kid went on. How annoying. I wanted to tell him to just grab a cupcake and disappear, but Tamara was a pro.

"Well, we baked special cupcakes without eggs in this area," she said and walked to the other table."

"I want vanilla," He said. Tamara grabbed the cupcake.

"It's $1.50. Give the money to her," Tamara said pointing at me. So I was going to be the cashier. Of course. The boy paid me the money and left with his cupcake. Many students came up to the table, some bought bags of chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal cookies which were on display. Diana, Tamara's mom handed me a shoebox and I was placing all of the money in there. When they sold half of the cupcakes in the display, Tamara's mom took out more trays and placed the cupcakes on the table. Mrs. Krasinski came out of the school to buy some bakery.