Chapter Six

After my mom left I did my homework, but as I was going through my notebooks, I forgot that I had cut  English class after the whole werewolf discussion and I didn't know if Mrs

After my mom left I did my homework, but as I was going through my notebooks, I forgot that I had cut English class after the whole werewolf discussion and I didn't know if Mrs. Krasinski had assigned us something so I called Tamara on the phone.

"Hello?" It was Diana Woods, Tamara's mom.

"Oh, hi Mrs. Woods. I was wondering if Tamara's there. I need to ask her something really quick," I said.

"Oh sure Natalie, give me a sec. Tamara! Tamara!"

"Oh, Mrs. Woods, don't tell her it's me," I said, but she didn't hear me. Typical.

"Tamara it's your friend Natalie," she said.

"I don't want to talk to her," I heard Tamara say over the phone.

"Oh, she's not here," Diana said.

"I can hear your voice over the phone Tamara, just take it!" I shouted.

"Take the damn phone," Diana said and then I heard the phone drop. I dialed again, but this time a machine answered.

"This is the Woods residence, we are not here right now, but if you'd like you can leave us a message after the beep."

Beep.

"Tamara, it's me. I just want to know if Mrs. Krasinski assigned anything," I said and I heard the phone rise.

"No," Tamara replied.

"I can't believe you're still mad at me because of the burrito thing."

"I'm not mad at you because of the burrito thing, okay?"

"Then what's going on?" I asked her.

"You're lying to me. I know you like him," she said. Was she serious?

"Are you serious? That's why you're mad at me?"

"That and the burrito thing," she replied.

"I told you I was sorry. You are such a pain in the ass," I told her.

"So, do you like him?"

"Who? Brad? Get real. I don't even know him."

"But you think he's cute?"

"Why does this bother you so much?" I asked her.

"Because... I like him... a lot," Tamara said.

"Okay. I think he's... good looking, happy?"

"I just don't want to fall head over heels over this guy if you're going to be his girlfriend. It would be too weird," Tamara said.

"Okay, so does this mean that we can be friends again?"

"Yeah, but tomorrow, I have to bake cookies for tomorrow's bake sale," she replied.

"Bake sale?"

"Duh, yeah, I'm the vice president of the class and I have to raise money for the Halloween Dance," she said.

"Oh right. I forgot about that dance. That's like a month away though," I replied.

"Yeah, I know, but I need to get funds or the party will be a piece of crap. I need you to help me with the car wash event. We have to get that money in two weeks or we won't be able to afford the DJ. We already made payments for the catering," she said.

"That's excellent."

"Yeah, thanks. I know, but we need to pay that DJ, and the car wash event will be a major cash boost and we also need it for the decorations. The party's going to be in the gym, so at least we won't have to pay for a location."

"Oh."

"I'll see you tomorrow at school. Bye."

"Bye," I replied and hung up. Then, I went to our backyard to feed the dog.

"Hey, Cameo. Here boy," I called out to him and whistled. Cameo liked to nap under an oak tree, but when he sniffed the smell of food in the air he ran like a maniac. I placed his bowl on the grass, next to his bowl of water. Cameo wagged his tail as he ate. I could tell that he was happy.

"Good boy," I said as he ate. Then, I walked back into the house and went to mom's office where there was a library filled with law books on the shelves. The only reason I entered that office was because of the fish that remained in a giant fish tank. It was relatively easy to feed them. I took out their fish food which was little balls of brine shrimp and a few flakes of algae. In the fish tank, there was a huge catfish, two blue slender danios, and four pink tetra fish. Mom was going to buy a mate for the huge catfish, but she always forgot about it, so the catfish was still a single dude.

"Here you go," I said as the small balls and flakes sunk in the water. The fish were so hungry, that they gulped the food immediately. Watching them chew gave me peace and their swimming relaxed me. They moved their tails side to side. The big catfish with his cute little mustache entered the castle we had bought for them at a pet store. I liked to call him Pepe Lepeu, who was the skunk who always fell madly in love with the cat in the Looney Toons cartoons. He was the only one with a name. The rest were just the rest. Two blue slender danios swam next to a fake coral reef but didn't move. I left mom's office and headed straight for my room. I turned my headphones on and listened to a few songs until I fell asleep.