CHAPTER 18: Recovery Training (1)

Ayume's question took Shinobu by surprise. Shinobu smiled shortly after.

"I think the question is...who wouldn't be?"

Ayume heard her response and chuckled.

"I guess that was a weird question to ask. Sorry." she said with a smile.

"Why?" Shinobu questioned out of curiosity.

"I asked because...when I faced Douma, I feared for my life and thought about the possibilities that led me up to that point. However...that fear faded when I realised how lucky I was. I realised that I was lucky to survive in the first place. I acknowledged that the luck was fading when I felt death's doorstep. But it always ends up at the very last moment."

Ayume explained her experience. Shinobu listened tentatively and was quite shocked to hear such a story.

"In this job, I guess it is a common thing, right?" Shinobu commented. Ayume lets out a sad smile. "Sad that it is..."

There was a silence.

"I should be thanking you, Shinahora-san. We should see this as an opportunity to defeat Douma in the future. Were there any weaknesses he showed?" Shinobu tries to brighten up the atmosphere. Ayume smiled back and recalled the fight.

"It seems to me that he cannot grow a new head when I cut it off. He rejoins his body with his head. I had cut his head three times and each time I did so, he became weaker. But...not weak enough for me to defeat him. He is incredibly fast and strong too. It's a miracle that I survived." Ayume explained and Shinobu listened very tentatively.

"However, if we can weaken him from the very beginning, we might stand a chance." Ayume said with signs of hope. Shinobu was filled with determination.

"Honestly...Shinobu-san. I think you can defeat him." Ayume assured with honesty in her words. Shinobu kept quiet. "That's great to hear..." she managed to say.

Shinobu stood up from her seat. "Well then. You should rest. Thank you for your time." she said kindly. Ayume smiled back. "It's no problem."

"Shinahora-san...I actually have another request..." Shinobu had a smile on her face. Ayume blinked out of curiosity. "Yes?"

~Time skip~

It has been a few weeks since Ayume woke up. She is able to move more freely, now that she has gotten some light exercises.

The bandage on her head and chest could be removed which means she could start some gentle training.

Ayume gets off her bed and walks to where the recovery training will be held at.

"I think the three boys are there already. I hope they're doing well." Ayume smiled with hope.

She was walking towards the training area until she heard some loud groans coming from the room. She also felt the negative vibes radiating from it.

"It feels like torture..." Ayume thought to herself before she knocked on the door. She then slid it open.

"Excuse me..." Ayume sounded as she entered the room. "Oh. Shinahora-san!" Aoi sounded in acknowledgement. Ayume smiled.

"I hope you don't mind the intrusion. I agreed to join the recovery training." Ayume announced with a warm smile. Tanjiro had light in his eyes as he heard the news.

"A pillar is going to train with us!" He exclaimed mentally. Zenitsu had heart eyes.

"A pretty woman! Training with me!!!"

Inosuke stared at Ayume for a while. "Who is she? Why is she here?" He asked Tanjiro.

"She is training with us! Have some respect!" Aoi scolded Inosuke. Tanjiro faced Ayume with a smile.