CHAPTER 15: The Lucky Charm

I never asked to be lucky. So not a day goes by that I am not grateful.

Like everything else, there is always an end.

I fight for everyone. I fight for the sake of humanity.

Like everyone else.

Ayume was switching forms from time to time as Douma's attacks pressed on. She managed to inflict some damage on him.

"Breath of Light. Nineth Form, Enchanting Blaze."

"Cold White Princesses."

"Seventh Form, Dance of Darklight."

"Scattering Lotuses."

"Second Form, Reflecting Arc."

The forms and attacks kept going. Ayume was reaching her limit soon. Her legs could barely stand up without the support of her swords. At this point, she cannot use the Sixth Form or the Tenth Form of the Breath of Light. The blood on her legs and thighs have not stopped bleeding. It's a matter of time till she dies from fatigue or severe blood loss.

I don't think it's possible for me to survive this.

"Don't be so negative."

Sorry...mother. I don't think I'll make it. My lucky stars are running out.

I was lucky to still live. I was lucky to have strength to become a Demon Slayer. And be a Pillar. I'm not anyone special.

I'm just...lucky.

Ayume's torso was severely wounded and her ribs were fractured as well. Douma was quite amused at the sight.

"Are you going to coorperate now? I can end your suffering really quickly." Douma offered. Ayume didn't answer but had an expressionless face.

"Breath...of..."

I can't move anymore. I'm about to collapse soon. And yet...

I just can't give up.

"Breath of Light. Fifth Form, Blinding Bite."

Ayume starts moving around in every direction.

"Wintry Icicles."

Ayume managed to break most of the ice shards. She didn't stop nor change her form.

"She's not stopping! Where is she??" Douma questioned as he tries to look around. "She can't go far with those--"

...

In a blink of an eye, Douma's head was cut off. Douma was very shocked at such a moment. His body could still move so he managed to kick Ayume away.

"She cut my head off!" he exclaimed mentally. "But..."

Douma's body picked his head up and placed it back on his neck. "It wasn't fatal enough..." he smirked devilishly and faced the severely injured girl on the ground.

"That was a good attempt. I'm impressed." Douma said with mockery. Ayume looked up but didn't utter a word.

"I'm going to absorb you now. Coorperate and I'll do it quickly." Douma said as he stepped towards Ayume. Ayume couldn't move anymore.

Ah...this really is the end.

Ayume lets out a smile which confused Douma a lot. "Not a single hint of anger...what the..." he thought.

"It isn't ideal...I'll admit that." Ayume said with the calmest voice Douma has ever heard. "I wouldn't want this. That's a fact. But..." Ayume faced Douma with her bloody face.