i. captain

Kongpob Suthilak, now a detective, enters the new precinct he's going to work at and takes everything around him with gusto.

Finally. After 8 months of being a patrolman and working mundane tasks— patrolling the busy streets of Bangkok, writing tickets and head-butting with hard-headed drivers, controlling the heavy traffic, and doing the paper works for the higher ranking police officers— he's now promoted as a detective.

Detective. Finally. His dream job since he was 7.

He's no longer required to wear the prescribed uniform for a patrolman.

Now, Kongpob can wear cooler clothes. Like what he's wearing today, a leather jacket on top of his long-sleeved shirt with tie, and paired up with pressed black pants.

Furthermore, he won't be conducting plain investigations for his superior, now, he's the one solving the crimes. He can finally use all the things he's been taught at the police academy.

Now, he can finally do something. Something that he's wasn't allowed to do when he's a patrolman.

Being a man for justice, Kongpob knows this position fits him well. Now, he's freer.

Last week, when his lieutenant at his former precinct came bearing the good news of his promotion— but in exchange, he has to move precinct— Kongpob's more than willing to go.

Not only he's now a detective but he can also escape from the toxicity of the environment of his former precinct.

Kongpob promises to himself that this time, he will make friends. He will be comfortable at his new precinct, his new home. He's going to make sure the people here will be his family.

He will be very friendly!

Or not.

Kongpob groans when a uniformed police officer accidentally hits his shoulder in haste.

"Sorry," the guy hurriedly whispers before walking away from him, not giving him a secondary glance to see if Kongpob's okay.

Yeah. Kongpob's okay. Not.

Kongpob is disappointed when he sees no banners or any welcoming paraphernalia for him. Indeed, Kongpob's not expecting any welcoming party for him, he knows the precinct is busy, but welcoming warm hugs from the other detectives are very needed.

However, the whole precinct continues to hustle— from complaining people locked in the holding cell to shouting police officers to shuffling papers to keyboards being slammed— it's another normal day in the precinct. Just like from Kongpob's previous one.

It's like Kongpob still hasn't escaped from that place. Well, anyway, he's still a detective... so whatever.

Kongpob plans to open his mouth and announce his presence but thought against it.

Sighing, he walks over to the empty desk which he assumes is his.

Before Kongpob could organize his desk, a burly guy taps his shoulder. "The Captain wants to talk to you," he says with a straight face before returning to his desk.

Well, here goes nothing.

Kongpob takes a deep breath and walks straight to his captain's office. He reads the label on the door signifying that the office indeed belongs to,

Capt. Arthit Rojnapat.

Kongpob takes another deep breath, gathering all the strength he can. The detective doesn't know why but he feels very nervous like he's gone back to his first day in the police academy. On the first day of meeting his strict instructor.