one step away from throne

⊰ chapter twenty one ⊱

The Princess had a burning body in the morning. Her ears and throat are red. She had a fever according to the medical experts because of the drenching. Ann hoped it was just a seasonal cold. She sat there all night, changing the damp cloth soaked in water instead of writing the reports as she was assigned as the General. Dara slept for most of the morning, Jungkook left a note.

It was half past noon when she was feeling better. Ann had brought her a cup of milk tea and some cinnamon rolls. Dara sat on her knees, leaning against the sofa in her balcony with the curtains hiding her away from the world. The cold breeze eased her temperature but she still felt tired. She had asked for Jungkook a few times but only Seokjin was available for service.

"He went to the Elf's shop. I don't know where it is but he said he needed answers. He took your compass." Soekjin seemed well informed about Jungkook and Dara's secrets. Dara wanted to be mad at Jungkook but she was too weak for that. She couldn't remember much from last night.

But she saw the King. The King. She saw him. And the King was coming for her. For her throat.

"Take me back to my bed," Dara lifted herself up, Seokjin hurried to grab her before she fell back against the pillows of the sofa. He picked her up and headed inside the chambers and almost dropped her when Jungkook walked in and his eyes rested on them. He didn't delay as he slid Dara into the bed, her body toppling over and she closed her eyes from tardiness and bowed to Jungkook, "You are back."

"You can leave," Jungkook commanded and the older man obeyed. A little hesitant, Seokjin left with Ann following him out, closing the doors behind them. Jungkook walked around the bed, turning Dara's body so she would face him. Her eyes awakened and she tried sitting up as she noticed Jungkook but the soldier pushed her soldier blades, putting her back, "Rest. I know what happened last night. We can talk about it when you are recovered."

"Tell me now," she said, her lips dry.

The soldier sighed, "Later―,"

"Obey me," Dara whispered, tired.

He took a deep breath before starting, "You are co-related to someone from Zisk's past. When the elf said you were once a slave, much taller and sharper―he meant your past."

"I am a reincarnation?" Dara questioned, the tip of her lip wobbling.

Jungkook shook his head, denying the theory, "No. You are a memory. The elf said you are a wish―a curse or a gift, we know less. But you are a memory―your soul being intertwined to your compass holds great history. So we must protect your compass at all costs."

"What do we do?" Dara whispered.

Jungkook sighed, "We protect you, your compass, and your lands. We protect everyone from the Easterns. They want your soul, they want the memories. They want every bit of your skin....did you know about the compass consuming you?"