a bonding so ill

⊰ chapter five ⊱

⊰ chapter five ⊱

Theon's ears were red, his lashes lowered as he stood in front of the King. Dara stood by her father's desk, Jeon standing behind her. Her heart racing as Theon bit his lip, shaking his head, "I am sorry, Your Majesty. I thought I would take the matter in my hands and let it slide. I have failed you as your General."

"I have given you the title with a lot of thought, Theon. Being my General, you should have at least executed a woman abuser in my room. Did it not bother you once to think such a man could be bailed anyway? Do you not know the rules?" the King looked at Dara, "If a single scratch had come to Dara today, I wouldn't bother beheading both Jungkook and you, Theon!"

Jeon straightened, "I apologize for my absence, Your Grace. I should not have left Her Highness's side. It's all my fault."

"I don't understand why my soldier has to apologize for a mistake Theon did," Dara murmured, chiming.

"Both of you will receive drawbacks for your reluctance. For now, Theon, I am sorry son, but according to laws, you will travel to the Old Palace and spend your punishment period there. Take care of the court, come back within a week," the King commanded and then looked at Jeon, "I need full schemes on the attack at the gala. Then we will travel to the East to settle matters."

Dara rose a brow.

Jeon bowed. The King left for the congress.

The room was silent but Theon looked up at Dara, "Are you alright? Are you hurt?"

There was a timid shift in her gaze as she nodded, swallowing a lump. Jeon's head was low as the royals spoke. His ears were wide open.

"You could have informed me before the King got the news," Theon stepped closer, a slight gap between the woman and him. Dara didn't meet his gaze, "Dara?"

"He was an abuser. I could have lost my life. He had weapons," Dara lied through her teeth but she was sure she was not going to regret it. Her chest was becoming heavy by each second, her breath cut short when Theon grabbed her arm, pulling Dara closer, "I did not expect it from you."

"You think I sent him...to your chamber? Me?" Theon's eyes twinkled, "Dara, I am your cousin. We grew up together-,"

"Which may result in you wanting to have the things I have," Dara's heart raced faster with every lie-but she was doing something no one would, she was protecting her position. She touched Theon's shoulders, "You raised your hand on me, Theon. Do I get an explanation for that?"

"I am your cousin-,"

"You are my subject," Dara said softly, but strictly. The room fluttered with tension. The Princess shook herself off Theon's soft grip and stepped back, "Even if I had the brother from one mother, I am sure he wouldn't do the treason. Where do you stand, where does this audacity come from?"