Listen

Over the next two weeks, Namjoon and Jin fell into a routine. They met up for dinner nearly every night, and they went somewhere on weekends to spend the day together. Once all the awkwardness from tiptoeing around their feelings was gone, Namjoon found it was all too easy to talk to Jin. They told each other about their families, what they liked to do outside of the music world, and they even talked about the future. Namjoon wanted to eventually become a producer for the company, if the chance ever arose, and he learned that Jin wanted to expand the trainee program to include more groups.

"You know, if I expanded the Gangnam branch, I'm sure we'd need more producers," Jin said as they sat at a street stand, eating ramyeon and drinking beer. They'd spent the day shopping--Jin insisting that they get Namjoon a new outfit for a busking event their group would be doing soon.

"That would be cool," he replied.

"You could probably audition for an opening if it happened. You'd have a lot more freedom as a producer."

Namjoon looked up at Jin, frowning. He wasn't sure what he was getting at. "I haven't even debuted as an idol yet. Do you think your father would really hire me as a producer? And, I have plenty of freedom now."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Jin said, looking dejected as he turned his attention back to his noodles.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, though," Namjoon told him. "Maybe I'll apply if there's an open position in a couple years, after I've learned more."

His Hyung was quiet a moment, and Namjoon could practically hear him thinking. Finally, he said, "a couple years is a long time away."

"It depends how you think about it," he chuckled. "If my goal is to become skilled enough of a producer for your dad to hire me, it doesn't seem like much time at all."

That didn't seem to lift the other man's spirits, and he merely nodded in response.

"What's wrong, Hyung?"

"As a producer, there'd be less pressure on us to keep things so hidden," Jin said, quietly, looking back up at him. "We wouldn't have to worry about our relationship getting out."

It suddenly clicked, and Namjoon felt like an asshole for laughing off Jin's suggestion. If he was no longer a trainee under Jin's management, and instead had a management position of his own, they could be more open about their relationship without the worry of a scandal if anyone found out. In reality, Namjoon knew Jin wouldn't be as affected by their relationship being made public as Namjoon would be--Jin's father would likely fire Namjoon in order to protect his son. So, Jin was worried about his future--and Namjoon had dismissed him without giving it much thought.

"Oh," he said, "I hadn't thought about that. Sorry--"

"No, it's fine," Jin said quickly. "That's still a long ways away, and we've barely been dating three weeks, so why would you have?"

"You know, I would prefer not to have to be lowkey about things," Namjoon mused. "I know Korea might still be on the conservative side, but it would be nice to at least hold your hand when we go shopping. So, it's not that I don't want to be in a position where we could do that, but rather I don't know if I have the skill to get there quite yet. Like you said, this is all still new, so we should focus on the present instead of getting weighed down by the future."

Jin nodded, smiling at him from across the table. "You're usually the one over-thinking things."

He laughed. "You're finally acting like a Hyung, worrying about me and the future."

"Yah!" Jin shouted, throwing a chopstick at him.

"Hey! Be careful with those!" He flipped a noodle back in retaliation, leading them into a miniature food fight that got them chased away from the food stand for causing a disturbance.